CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

White Speckled Rattlesnakes!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
StrangeCargo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstphal View Post
"Buzz worms"? LOL! Rare in the sense of morphs or rare in the sense of species that are hard to find in the wild? Nothing wrong either way, just that if you keep & breed ones that are wild type but are species or subspecies that are having a hard time surviving in their "natural" habitat because of humans, you are also serving a valuable function in giving the species a protected space to survive in so that maybe one day it can be reintroduced into the wild, and it would be so cool to be able to help a species or subspecies survive!

Anyway these are gorgeous. I love the look of all the pit viper species I have seen, but I don't trust myself not to get tempted to free handle, and that would not be good! So I will enjoy looking at them being cared for by people who can care for these hots while keeping themselves safe. I love your pictures of hots, please post them!

Thanks. They come from such a remote- extremely hard to hunt locality and I doubt they're in danger of being over collected. The locality itself is VERY guarded/secret- special permission must be given to even get to the area.

If you've ever hunted specks you'll understand...

They are all white from that area- juts match the rocks they are found on...

Thanks!
Graham

Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #22
zorro
Those are way cool Graham, where do you come up with this stuff?
Congrats
John

Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #23
The_Thunderer
As I mentioned on the other thread, Graham, AWESOME looking snakes!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
Caryl
Wow! These are new to me, and they're really interesting! How long have we known they exist in the wild?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #25
vetusvates
Fascinating, Graham. Very beautiful snakes.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #26
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeCargo View Post
Yes, they came from our mutual friend. He and I have done a few deals so far... very nice guy. Thank you for the introduction.
Excellent, glad it worked out for ya. He is a good guy. He doesn't do much in the way of colubrids, but he is a good guy to know.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #27
Chip
Is this name a secret? Cuz I really, really want to know!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #28
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeCargo View Post
Thanks. They come from such a remote- extremely hard to hunt locality and I doubt they're in danger of being over collected. The locality itself is VERY guarded/secret- special permission must be given to even get to the area.

If you've ever hunted specks you'll understand...
I am glad to read they are safe in the wild and that whomever is the owner or has control of the area is taking good precautions. I haven't herped for hots although I ran across the 3 most common hots of FL often enough as a child. I loved to see them but from a few feet so I could be safe. I always thought, and still think, that copperheads are gorgeous but all the US pit vipers are good looking critters.

Nowadays I live in MA & I don't think there's been a report of a native pit viper in years here. Did meet one guy with a severe pit viper envenomation who CLAIMED he got it hiking but a well respected toxicologist with expertise in pit vipers said it was a Mojave based on what happened to the guy, and we don't have those. Bummer that we don't, they are quite cool.

If I ever get back out to the SW US I plan to go looking! But not touching...

Old 09-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #29
MotleyCrue
Simply breathtaking! I just can;t seem to get myself around the idea of owning a snake that could very easily kill me ;P But to each his own. I love the "stub nose" that these guys have. It just screams "Stay back, I mean it!" =D

Old 09-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #30
Reptilekyle64
What a crazy one of the best looking rattlers ive seen awsome, and glad you got some have fun working with them =)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google