CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

"alternative" feeders

Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
heatwave
"alternative" feeders

I raise a whole variety of feeders because I have a whole variety of snakes... my primary feeders are rats which I greatly enjoy breeding (I adore my ratties and have a wide variety of colors and patterns, all dumbos) and ASFs (this is where all my pinkies come from) and I have a small colony of mice that I think im going to need to expand come hatching season.

I also raise rabbits for my burms and boas. Rabbit pinks also seem to be popular with my larger adult corns. I also feed day old chicks a couple times a month (whenever we have spraddle-legged chicks or chicks that just arent doing well in the brooder) and my biiiiig burm gets the occasional rooster as well.

Was just wondering what other feeders people raise besides the typical mice and rats?

Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
MindsEyeExotics
Guppies for garter snakes and guinea pigs for burms or retics, but they aren't as prolific as rabbits though. Had gerbils once upon a time for super picky ball pythons that a few of them only ate gerbils..kinda weird

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Carpe Serpentis
Has anyone heard of snake suasages or know where to get them? I've seen a few references to these as alternative feeders. They are made of whole ground mice, etc. if memory serves me. I tried looking for them after finding a link, but it has since evaded me. They are made in various sizes of course and the ones I saw being fed to a snake were in chains.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
BloodyBaroness
Regarding sausages, snakes don't care for them, and most won't eat them. Many of the companies producing them have dropped the product due to very poor sales. They are a dead product.

Heatwave, I'm so sorry I don't know your real name, I might have to talk with you about picking up a live rodent once in a while. I've got one every stubborn ball python holding out on me. She eats live like a champ, but I don't have space for colony right now.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
kylesdad77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
Has anyone heard of snake suasages or know where to get them? I've seen a few references to these as alternative feeders. They are made of whole ground mice, etc. if memory serves me. I tried looking for them after finding a link, but it has since evaded me. They are made in various sizes of course and the ones I saw being fed to a snake were in chains.
Im glad you asked about those. I was wondering if they were any good myself. Sounds like they aren't!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
heatwave
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Regarding sausages, snakes don't care for them, and most won't eat them. Many of the companies producing them have dropped the product due to very poor sales. They are a dead product.

Heatwave, I'm so sorry I don't know your real name, I might have to talk with you about picking up a live rodent once in a while. I've got one every stubborn ball python holding out on me. She eats live like a champ, but I don't have space for colony right now.

I'm Shawn (a girl Shawn lol)

Hey just let me know! Not sure where in NC you are but I'm in between albemarle and salisbury.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
BloodyBaroness
Cool beans.

<--Autumn

I'm in Concord, so we are practically neighbors.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
kylesdad77
Ok...a little off the wall Q here...do you think there are more female snake owners on this site than males?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Chip
I did a poll on gender, and it was really close. I think I set it to never expire, if you want to search for it.

Snake sausages were a neat idea. I tried them back in the day, but part of the problem was price, and part was keeping them fresh. Fur really helps things not stick together in the freezer, as anyone who freezes a lot of pinks or hairless knows. My kings ate them, but then again, they ate snake hooks. Corns and hoggies were very hesitant to believe they were food.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
kylesdad77
Thanks Chip

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google