CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Taceas/CornCrazy: Update on using chlorophyll and alfalfa pellets?

Old 07-16-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
Amanda E
Taceas/CornCrazy: Update on using chlorophyll and alfalfa pellets?

Taceas: I know you've since moved your mice out of the house, but have you continued to use the Chlorophyll drops in their water? If so, did it seem to help with the odor much? I'd like to try it, if you think it was worth it. Also, how much did/do you use in the water?

CornCrazy: In another post you said how the odor was cut way down once you started using the alfalfa pellets instead of aspen. About how long can you get away with not cleaning the cages before the mouse smell becomes noticable? I know you said at three days there was no odor. Is that pretty much the limit or does it work for longer than 3 days?

If your wondering, I currently have mice that my husband is complaining about and I'm willing to do anything (other than put them out in the garage) to try to keep the mouse smell down. Otherwise, I'll have to just kill the colony off and stick to buying frozen.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
Taceas
Amanda,

I still use the chlorophyll liquid in their water. I'm using about a half-teaspoon to an 8 oz standard water bottle. I still notice it helps. If I go a week without using it, I can tell a difference in the odor of the polebarn. Whereas if its in use, all I really smell is bedding smell. And I really notice it when I use it in my ferret's water.

My only real complaint about it is that it stains the plastic green after a time. And you never really can get those water bottles completely cleaned out it seems.

Ferrets have notoriously smelly urine and feces. So products are made for simply that, waste odor removal. The Marshall Ferret Bi-Odor product works great on ferrets, cats, and rats...but the price is oh-so expensive. It's $14 at Petsmart for a little 8oz bottle of it. So if you can find it in the gallon jugs it'd be more of a bargain I'd think. But I can really attest to it working. My ferret has a 32oz water bottle, and I'd use 7 pumps per fill-up. It gives directions on the bottle, but did mention you can use more or less depending on the smell level. So in my rat water bottle I'd use 2-3 pumps.

You can find it here: TheFerretStore.com: Odor Products

Quote:
Bi-Odor? contains a patented blend of amino acids and enzymes derived from mushrooms that work to reduce the ammonia and urea nitrogen levels in the blood. Simply adding a few drops to ferret?s food or water daily will deodorize their stool, urine and body odors internally! Made with 100% natural ingredients and veterinary tested and approved. It is safe and effective.
I would recommend maybe trying both products and see how you like it. It'd be very hard for me to get rid of my mice. I like raising them just to see the cute color and pattern combinations come out. If I had a market for fancy pet mice, I'd be in business. But the only pet store I know of with live rodents won't buy from other people because they have a contract with a rodent breeder in the area (same person I got my stock from). And he only supplies them with white feeder mice, so what that has to do with fancy pet mice is beyond me. I guess they get free mice that someone gave them, and pawn them off as fancy pet mice for $3 a mouse. Quite a markup I'd imagine.

I tried the regular alfalfa pellets in the bedding mix too..but the mice kept eating the pellets instead of their lab blocks. =P

Old 07-16-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
magick-bears
Amanda,

I would also sugest using Aspen Supreme Pellets made by Green Pet. This is what I use and I have almost no oder problems at all and only have to clean them every 7 to 10 days. Unless I have allot of babies (25 or more) then we clean then every 5 days or so. All of our mice are in 12 quart sterilite tubs and live in our living room. We have friends who also breed mice/rats and can not believe that they can't smell the mice when they walk through our front door into the living room. So far 2 of them have switched over to the Aspen Pellets as well

PetsMart and PetCo both sell a 10 pound bag for $6.99 or so. PetCo also sells a 20 pound bag for $10.99.

Jeff C.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google