CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Blind snake in AZ

Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
gelshark
you AZ people have all the fun

Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
HerpsOfNM
You guys should look up video of how they eat! IIRC, their lower jaw is the only one with teeth and they disarticulate it in a manner that looks like a front end loader scooping up soil. They also "musk" a pheromone that is calming to ants, which allows them to raid the nest for pupae.

You should have Rena (Leptotyphlops) humilis - western blind snake in the PHX area. I'm not near any of my guides so I forget what their key is (it's scalation around the eyes. It i forget what count). This is one from NM with clear view of ocular scales for IDing.

They're simple snakes to keep. I've had luck with them and Brahminy thread snakes kept in coco fiber and fed termite pupae. I kept them in large restaurant store deli cups that I had to punch vent holes in; kept the brahminy thread for over a year before it somehow got out.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Christen
Wow Thank you for that info. I am going to have to look up feeding videos. My husband was asking me about keeping them. I just assumed it wasn't even possible. Not that I want to try anyway. lol

Old 08-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
beautifullywild77
AZ and CO people have all the fun.. dagnabit... yall have hockey!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
maxfox426
Oh that is so cool! I actually was just randomly reading about those earlier today. It's really neat that you get to see them in person.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
dave partington
Well I hope you get him this

Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
HerpsOfNM
Wrong type of snake there dave

Old 09-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
tspuckler
That's a nice find and a very odd snake.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
MotleyMedusa7
very cool-nice find!

Old 09-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
cornsnakeforsale_com
I lost one of those in your neighborhood about 20 years ago. Maybe those are my great, great, great... grandbabies! My friend and I caught one over by the verde river when we were hunting the roads and brought it home. Tip: don't ever let one of those down in grass, you WILL lose it while you watch!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google