CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

snake id (copper head?)

Old 09-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
cornbreadandmilk
snake id (copper head?)

caught by my cousin in central Alabama
I think its a copper head
he says rat snake
this is the only pic Ive seen he says it has (VERTICAL SLIT PUPILS )

CAST YOUR VOTE NOW

+1 copper head

Old 09-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
The Cat
It has poison glands, giving it the triangle head. It's definetly poisonous. +1 Copperhead

Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Chip
Vertical slit pupils and no rattle in Alabama should spell Agkistrodon (copperheads/moccasins). Really pretty banding on that one, but I wouldn't bare hand it!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Vertical slit pupils and no rattle in Alabama should spell Agkistrodon (copperheads/moccasins). Really pretty banding on that one, but I wouldn't bare hand it!
he has been holding it all day and wont listen to me not sure what do to

Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
chris68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
Make sure he has health insurance. Baby bites can be worse than an adult. They don't have control of how much venom to inject; generally it's all of it.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Oscarsdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
Tell him it's been identified as a venomous snake and quit fooling with it. Tell him to put it in a cage and go get a live hopper and put it in with it and call back and let you know what happened.

When he tells you the snake bit the mouse and it died tell him to go ahead and pick it up if he wants to go where the mouse did.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Oscarsdad
BTW- I want to PM my address so he can go buy a lottery ticket and send it to me. It's definitely his lucky day (so far).

Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Nanci
(Any snake can and _will_ make its head into a triangle shape to scare people off).

I can't see the pupils, but that is a heavy-bodied snake, very typical of a copperhead. A same-length ratsnake would be thin like a piece of rope.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Nanci
My vet tells a story of a guy who brought in a coral snake, and ID'd it as a king snake. He insisted that he'd had it for years, and his kids handled it all the time.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
crotalis40741
I would like to see better pics of it myself. IF it is a copperhead is one of the weirdest ones I have seen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google