CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

snake id (copper head?)

Old 09-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #41
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
i cant seem to squeeze the pics from him.i would really like to know ar this point if not for the slit eyes i would agree on banded water snake
Road trip!!

Old 09-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
cornbreadandmilk
cant make it, i go to school 5 days a week and work 3 days so i am to swamped plus its over a 100 miles from my current location

Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #43
tspuckler
That's definately a non-venomous water snake and it definately does not have vertical pupils. If you were able to get a close-up head shot, we could see that it has round pupils.

From the "Outdoor Alabama" website:

"Midland Water Snake - Common statewide, except southernmost portions of Coastal Plain. A conspicuous inhabitant of ponds, lakes, and streams, and the most frequently encountered water snake in the northern two-thirds of Alabama."

Baby Cottonmouths look very much like Copperheads. Here's a young Cottonmouth that I found in 2011:

It's not unusual for non-venomous water snakes to flatten their heads and either puff up or flatten out their bodies, making them look fatter, like this young Yellowbelly Water Snake I found is doing.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #44
anerythristic/okeete
if i see a snake i dont touch it until i know what kind it is

Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #45
sambiggins2012
That does look pretty weird for a copperhead! That's why I never leave home without my snake chaps! Seriously though.. I'd tell him to quit messing with it unless he knows someone who can actually know what he's messing with!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #46
Myca
A few years ago I was out shopping with a friend. Her husband was watching her kids. When we got home with her stuff, her son pulled a coral snake out of his pocket he had found and been playing with.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #47
Myca
I'm with Chip here. Leave it alone. Let us know if your cousin is still with us tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #48
kayladewi
I'm a little more than late on this one. I am a wildlife biologist and am aware of most wild snakes on the eastern coast. While I'm a not directly familiar with the fauna of Alabama, I do have to say that this looks more like a watersnake.

Any time you're trying to I.D. A snake over media such as phone or the internet, try getting a few photos, of the head, the face, the back and of the tail. Make sure they are clear and in good lighting.

I have to say, I'm very disappointed in the people responding on this. As snake lovers/handlers you were all very quick to jump on the copperhead bandwagon. When an unidentified snake is in a person's possession and they're coming to you for advice (because you are the snake person they know and in their mind, you'll know exactly what it is right away) a response like "OMG IT'S A COPPERHEAD" is a good way to terrify the person, and quickly end the life of a snake.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #49
kayladewi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
It has poison glands, giving it the triangle head. It's definetly poisonous. +1 Copperhead
#1, you are wrong simply for referring to them as "poison" glands.
#2 That head shape is hard to determine based on the angle. You need a good photo from directly above the snake. Water snakes generally have a very similar head shape, but are not venomous.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #50
kayladewi
Based on this photo alone, I'm in the 90th percentile of certainty that this is some type of watersnake. Not that it matters at this point, but it bothered me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google