CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Cat food, dog food!?!

Old 07-18-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
cornsnake234
Cat food, dog food!?!

Are they suppose to love cat or dog food!?!? because i've read several thread about what mouse can eat and what is better and cat and dog food seems to be in the top of the list.... i've tried it since the first day i've got my mices but they only eat some at the first day, when it's a new brand.

I've try two kind of cat food, nutrience and science diet since i have those brand at home for my cats and it's suppose to be very good cat food, i don't know why they don't like it. I also feed them gerbil food and they only eat sunflower seeds into it, they throw the oters item out of their food dishes same for cat food. I also give them millet and flax seeds and they really enjoy it.... sometimes i give them vegetables and fruit but they don't eat them too much.

Sunflower, millet and flax must not be a complete diet for mice breeding!?! what can i add to their diet!?

Thx

Old 07-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
CrazyCorn
The thing is when an animals tastes something sweet it usually doesn't want anything else but that sweet tasting food, I have had no problems in the past with having them eat dog food they just don't go crazy over it like sweet things. Sweets should only be given in moderate amounts.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:38 AM   #3
DAND
I don't know if they have it up there in Canada but I use Dad's Economites. I've tried all kinds of different foods and this is not only the best thus far but it is also the cheapest I've found.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:44 PM   #4
magick-bears
Why is it that you would want to feed your mice the cheapest dog food you can find? The #1 reason I raise my own feeders is so I can make sure that they get the best food. By feeding them the cheapest dog food you can buy you are feeding your snakes the cheapest mice. Personally, I would prefer to feed my snakes the highest quality mice. Not only that but dog food causes mice to be obese and lowers their production rates. The only time dog food should be considered is if you have a mouse that has had extreme weight loss due to stress or heat. Then I would and do feed a caned maximum calorie diet. I use Eukanuba's Maximum-Calorie™/Canine & Feline Canned Formula which it part of their Veterinarian line.

I also do not suggest using a seed diet. As you have found the mice pick out the sunflower, millet and flax seeds and leave the rest. This is the equivalent of offering a 2 year old a choice of M&Ms, spinach, and Gummy Bears. What is the one thing you think will be left?

That leaves the only logical choice being Lab Blocks. There is nothing for them to pick and choose from. And as long as you by a mouse/rat lab block they are formulated specifically for mice. In a breeding/production environment I would suggest a high fat mouse lab block.

This is all from personal experiance of almost 20 years of commercial breeding of mice.

Jeff C.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #5
cornsnake234
Unhappy

I think what you said make a lot of sens! I've removed from their diet what they *liked* and only feed them cat food for the moment because i don't know where to find those lab blocks!
They don't seem to enjoy this diet at all, it's very hard to resist!!

By the way, i have another problem, one of my female has become really agressive at me since 2 days. Normally it was my nicest mice, she was coming at my hand to sniff and i was able to touch her.... but now she is nervous and she had also try to bit me!!! is it a normal behaviour!?

Thx for replies.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:42 PM   #6
Drizzt80
Another point of note for this discussion on seed feeds is that sunflowers are very high in fat content. That is why your mice pick them out first. They are also cheaper for the manufacturers to use in the mix. This knowledge comes from my owning of various parrots over the years. Sunflowers=bad for part of the regular diet.

Depending the size of your colony, rodent blocks may or may not be cost effective when compared to dog/cat food. Someone posted their mix which I am going to try which consisted of dog food and oats. We'll see what happens I guess.

D80

Old 07-20-2004, 12:11 AM   #7
magick-bears
I almost did not post this but I really would like to know. Why would you want to switch from Lab Blocks to dog food just to save a few bucks. Is it really worth the few dollars saved to lower the quality of your feeders. I have had snakes that have been brought up on feeders fed dog food and they have always been much smaller then snakes of comparable age fed high quality feeders raised on lab blocks. On top of it I have lived all over the U.S.A and have never had to pay more then $20 for a 50 pound bag of Lab Blocks. Most of the time it is $15 or less. Sorry for the rant, but, I just don't get it.

Jeff C.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:28 AM   #8
Drizzt80
Magick, my response to your post would be that I personally would have to compare the ingredients of both products, as well as the amount of protein, vitamins, etc. each contains. It is my understanding that you want a high level of protein for breeders as well as calcium.

Personally, I feed a mixture of rodent diet (seed mix minus the flowers), Kaytee pellets for mice, and lab rodent chow. There is a very distinct progression of their choice of foods from my mix that I have been recently noticing. They choose to eat the seed items, the Kaytee pellets, and then the chow. Quite honestly, the breeders have eaten their babies on occassion before choosing to eat the rodent chow.

Having not specifically compared lab chow to dog food YET, I am investigating other options for feeding the small colony of breeders I maintain.

In reference to saving a few bucks . . . Unless you have an unlimited amount of cash flow (which I don't), I'm all for saving money. I will not save money at the expense of my animal's health, BUT all things considered and being equal (amount, nutritional value, etc.) I will go with the cheaper food be it dog food or lab chow.

I hope this effectively answers your rant, and I appreciate the discussion.

D80

Old 07-20-2004, 01:53 AM   #9
magick-bears
Drizzt80 Thanks for taking my post in the spirit it was meant in. I really did post to stimulate discussion. However, I was afraid I might have come across to strong. This is simply because I have a strong passion for mice (as pets and show animals) as much as I do for snakes. I have just seen way to many mice that are fat and tumor laden due to having been fed a dog food diet. I just don't think I will ever understand it. The way I see it is if Lab Block for mice was cheaper then dog food would people start switching their dogs to Lab Blocks? I due commend you in the fact that you plan to research it in depth first. Also higher fat levels are more important for breeders in production then high protein. The feed I am currently using is 24% protein and 11% fat. Personally I think it is a little high in protein. I prefer a protein level of 20% or so. I would recommend no less then 9% fat for breeders.

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:34 AM   #10
DAND
Magick,

I posted earlier that I have tried a variety of different foods for the rodents I have (mice and rats) which also included rodent chow. The protein and fat in what I use (Dad's Economites) is 16% and 7%. With this product I have less waste and the stools aren't loose as they were with a number of other products I had tried. My rodents aren't fat and they do not have tumors, nor would I consider using something like that to feed my snakes. I can understand your passion for rodents because I too share this paiion to a certain extent. I want my rodents to be as healthy as they can be... then they become snake food.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google