CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Wannabe Thief

Old 10-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #71
Aozora
It's not just the quail--I have rabbits too, and chickens. The chickens are in a tractor I move around from day to day, so the snakes look for them in a different spot every day. At this point, my whole property is basically covered in road flares, fireworks, and spotlights to a breed of snake that specializes in birds and small mammals.

I thought the black rat snakes had gone into brumation because we'd had a cold snap, but the last couple of days have had highs in the 80s and I was wondering if I'd see anyone again. I went out to check on the animals, came around back of the rabbit shed, and almost stepped on on #1. He thoroughly musked me just to remind me who's really boss here, and has settled comfortably back into his favorite hide to await his next free meal.

He was after kits again. Another one of my rabbits has nine 2-week-old babies, and he was going after the rabbits instead of the quail. This mama rabbit is even bigger than the other doe, and although she's a little sweeter she would not hesitate to defend her kits. I think I keep saving #1 from his own stupidity--rabbits can really hurt something if they want to.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #72
Aozora
So I may have found where some of the snakes are living. Was walking around the house, when my roommate saw something unusual sticking from under the siding. We look a little closer, and it was a scaly black rat snake tail. Of course the snake disappeared under the house when we pulled up the siding to take a look. There's no mistake though, it's a black rat snake. He can't get into the house, so it's all good.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google