CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Pine snake in the yard

Old 07-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
Rich Z
Pine snake in the yard

I was out cutting some weeds and brush today with a long bladed lopper when I spotted a snake coiled under the area I had just cut. Turned out to be a pine snake, I guess around 3.5 ft long. Looked like a female. Had to chase her around a little bit before I could pick her up. She squirmed and huffed a little bit about being handled but never attempted to bite. Did get a little bit of musk, too. I had to carry her around a bit to go find Connie so I could show her. The piney calmed down pretty good and seem interested in the new experience.

I guess I should have grabbed my camera, but that would have meant handing the pine to Connie, and not to sure she would have been keen on that idea. So I just walked the pine snake back to where I found here and sent her on her way. Sorry about not getting any pics.

Don't really see many pine snakes around here, and they aren't especially pretty. This one might have been going into or coming out of being opaque as the eyes looked a bit smoky. I sure am glad she didn't lift her head up to see what was going on when I cut the brush above her, otherwise I would have felt awful had I cut her up real badly.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Ravenessa
this kind of pine??
http://www.brooksi.com/joomla/index....ects&Itemid=20

They are adorable!!

Old 08-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
Rich Z
Actually looked more like the one at the top of this page -> http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/pitmel.htm

Old 08-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Ravenessa
still cute but almost has a little angry face.. corns always looks llike they are smiling almost.. or are about too.. lol

Old 08-04-2015, 11:50 PM   #5
Rich Z
Yeah, pines do have a sort of serious look about them. And when they start huffing, they sure do seem like they are pretty grumpy.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:52 PM   #6
Ravenessa
they huff?! omg so cute!! but I think they might scare me.. Im a chicken.. thus corn snakes!

Old 08-05-2015, 03:27 AM   #7
Rich Z
Oh yeah they can huff! And then some! A fully pissed off large pine snake will sound like a pressure washer.

A long while back, not long after I moved down here, I was coming home from work down the sandy road to my house when I spotted the back end of a large snake just vanishing into the woods line to the right of the road. I thought it might be a large kingsnake, since the pattern did look similar to the blotched kings found not far from here. I stopped the truck and before I even got around the front bumper I heard a horrendous hissing. I looked into the woods and right there at the edge was a H-U-G-E pine snake coiled up, upper body raised, mouth agape and hissing like a banshee. I sure as heck didn't feel like tangling with THAT, so I just backed off and drove on home. That snake looked and sounded like it wanted to KILL me, and I just didn't want to see if it could succeed. I'm sure there would have been blood spilled....... Mine.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #8
Ravenessa
roflmao see this is why I like corn snakes!! So much more docile.. that is funny though. I am sure it looked impressive at that point as well.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
tsst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenessa View Post
they huff?! omg so cute!! but I think they might scare me.. Im a chicken.. thus corn snakes!
This snakewispera snr's Sid.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
XenDrgn
That.. is so adorably angry!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google