CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Supersize corn

Old 06-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #11
CrazyCorn
Big mama dropped 17 eggs yesterday morning. I am slow cooking them at 82F so it will be about 65-75 days before they come out.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #12
KRIZ
Princess,
any luck with those pictures from your friend?

Old 06-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #13
princess
Nah, I think we forgot about it!
He's been back from Florida for months now and we still haven't seen photos at all!

I'll see if I can get onto it next time I see him but that won't be for quite a few weeks

Old 06-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #14
colinmcc
Must be something about amels. Got the wife to take a quick pic of Cyril when he was out for his dinner tonight. He's not quite straight, but as straight as I could get him without having to pull at each end!

Reckon fully stretched out, nose to tip of tail, he's just nudging 5 1/2 foot. He's about 14 and a dad MANY time over.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
CAV
Bless ya, it is because Guinness is in that house. The nectar of the Gods I tell you!

Old 06-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #16
Jynx
hey we give it to pregnant mares with their grain. It works

Old 07-31-2005, 10:17 PM   #17
OCFinfan
Angry Sure to ruffle feathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCorn
I road collected a 5 1/2ft Gravid corn recently. I still have her waiting for her to drop eggs.
I have been reading the posts in this forum for a few months now, and I have a question. Doesn't anyone out there have a problem with capturing and keeping wild snakes, rather than just taking a picture of them and then letting them go about their lives so maybe others can share in their beauty? To say nothing of the fact of completely decimating a species from their habitat. So many in here will bash someone for not using the "correct" substrate, or getting pissy with someone for not having the humidity perfect, etc., yet noone seems to care about a kid collecting a gravid snake. I have reread this thread numerous times, and I finally have to say something. Snakes are a wonderful animal, I have had them for pets all my life, but always snakes that have been bred in captivity. I have encountered numerous snakes in the wild that I yearned to take home, but the thought of what i was doing to the species, along with the thought of denying others a chance to see these gorgeous creatures quickly brought me back to reality.
I have a few more issues that irk me but this was the most offensive. So go ahead and bash away at me now. I will be quiet again as I sit back and watch people that have had a snake for a week giving advice, watching posts of people getting excited about a hatchling eating out of their hand without any negative posts, etc.

One more thing...a freakin GRAVID FEMALE!!!!!!!!! And the response to this post was an inquiry into the purchase of one of the hatchlings!!!!! Thank god I have my 2 corns in a tank on 1 side of me, my 2 sinaloan milk snakes across from me, and my calif king poking his head out from under his log looking my way to relax me, cuz my blood is starting to boil.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:53 PM   #18
Serpwidgets
Yes, the corn population is being decimated by field collectors.

Bahhhahahahaha!!!!!

Old 07-31-2005, 11:55 PM   #19
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCFinfan
I have been reading the posts in this forum for a few months now, and I have a question. Doesn't anyone out there have a problem with capturing and keeping wild snakes, rather than just taking a picture of them and then letting them go about their lives so maybe others can share in their beauty?
Why yes, I believe some do. If you'd use the search feature you would see that this topic has been debated quite readily, and has been heated at times.

Quote:
To say nothing of the fact of completely decimating a species from their habitat.
Wut? The wild caught adult you're flipping out about was captured in Florida----there are PLENTY of cornsnakes in Florida. Rest assured, you do not need to worry about them being decimated because a few people keep a few wild caught specimins.

Quote:
So many in here will bash someone for not using the "correct" substrate, or getting pissy with someone for not having the humidity perfect, etc., yet noone seems to care about a kid collecting a gravid snake.
Why would we?

Quote:
I have reread this thread numerous times, and I finally have to say something. Snakes are a wonderful animal, I have had them for pets all my life, but always snakes that have been bred in captivity. I have encountered numerous snakes in the wild that I yearned to take home, but the thought of what i was doing to the species, along with the thought of denying others a chance to see these gorgeous creatures quickly brought me back to reality.
So do tell me, just how do you think you have that captive bred snake as a pet. Do you think that many years ago some snake just appeared in captivity? I guess you think it's a terrible idea to take some wild caught snakes and strengthen the gene pool, right?

Quote:
I have a few more issues that irk me but this was the most offensive. So go ahead and bash away at me now. I will be quiet again as I sit back and watch people that have had a snake for a week giving advice, watching posts of people getting excited about a hatchling eating out of their hand without any negative posts, etc.
Okay!!!

Quote:
One more thing...a freakin GRAVID FEMALE!!!!!!!!! And the response to this post was an inquiry into the purchase of one of the hatchlings!!!!! Thank god I have my 2 corns in a tank on 1 side of me, my 2 sinaloan milk snakes across from me, and my calif king poking his head out from under his log looking my way to relax me, cuz my blood is starting to boil.
You do that, but grab some ice first. Again, what's the big deal about a gravid female? Those eggs have a much better chance of hatching and surviving with him than they do in the wild.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:41 AM   #20
OCFinfan
Exactly

1.wut? The wild caught adult you're flipping out about was captured in Florida----there are PLENTY of cornsnakes in Florida. Rest assured, you do not need to worry about them being decimated because a few people keep a few wild caught specimins.

Thats EXACTLY what people used to say about many species here in Calif. Case in point is the rosy boa; one of the prettiest snakes there are but because of so many people capturing them, they are next to impossible to find. California Mountain king is another..the list goes on and on. How about everybody go to Florida on a vacation, and grab us one of these plentiful corns...we will see how much longer they are there. But according to your mentality, I am sure if its not on the endangered species list, fair game.

2.So do tell me, just how do you think you have that captive bred snake as a pet. Do you think that many years ago some snake just appeared in captivity? I guess you think it's a terrible idea to take some wild caught snakes and strengthen the gene pool, right?

Yes, I do think its a terrible thing. Do you have any idea how many corns are in captivity??? There is no need to add wild specimens. Just take a count of how many corns are owned by the people that read this forum.

3.You do that, but grab some ice first. Again, what's the big deal about a gravid female? Those eggs have a much better chance of hatching and surviving with him than they do in the wild

Why do you think a snake lays so many eggs? So maybe 1 will reach sexual maturity.

Keep thinking the way you do and make sure you collect all the snakes you can, because thats the only way your children or your childrens children will see one live. Ignorance must be bliss

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google