CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with wild catching corns?
Yes 91 59.48%
No 62 40.52%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on WC

Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #11
CrazyCorn
Oh yes and I do agree with Quigs on those points.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:10 PM   #12
Itsnowingcorns
Oh well excuse me CrazyCorn, if you'll notice I do know how we got corns and I said I understand about that! I said I feel it's not fair to catch them anymore since we've got captive ones now. Of course I value your opinions, I'm sorry for getting so defensive, you're right about me being so stupid and I sincerely apoligize. I wanted to see if there was any good reason for catching wild corns now, and wanted to see if anyone agreed with me too. CrazyCorn I feel you are attacking me a little too much, at least give me chance to explain myself. I would write more but I'm tired and going to bed, (6 hours ahead here in the terrible UK), oh on that note of the UK, there's no need to be so prejudiced like that. Can we STOP this argument now before it gets stupid. Goodnight.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
CrazyCorn
"prejudiced" I am not, just an observation, I never said you were stupid I just meant that if you can't accept others views such as on the topic of catching corns then why post a thread on it, just to try and make others feel they are wrong and should stop all collecting of all corns? I would have never gotten started in this hobby 5 years ago if it weren't for me moving to an area abundant with corns, my first 3 corns were WC, I still keep them to this day, there are alot of variance in wild corns and I find the more beautiful than CB corns myself, their is not a real epidemic right now of mass poaching of wild corns since there are so many CB out there now. Alot of people I speak to started out with WC corns and thats what got this hobby going like it is, I still hear story's from younger and older people who find a corn and fall in love with to the point they come to the petshop I work at to buy it tons of goodies and buy 1 or 2 more CB corn since they like them so much, I do not see how you could be against this but I accept your views.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #14
Jimmy Johnson
Wc

As it has been stated, it is wrong for the commercial collection of corn snakes but also as stated, if the laws allow and the snakes are there I have absolutely no problem with a person catching a nice corn snake, rat snake, king snake or any number of other species, and taking that specimen home as a pet.
In my area there are only a few people who even keep snakes. That number is growing thanks to the strides taken in captive care and breeding but of the few in this area that keep snakes an even lower number would actually take the time or make the effort to find and catch a wild snake. I honestly do not see the numbers being depleated by this random acquisition of wild specimens.
If loss of habitat and other factors cause the numbers to decrease and protections are placed, then obviously they should not be taken but as long as this isn't the case, why not?

By the way... I would like to hear the answer to the question posted a couple of threads up.
Why are you so hell bent against it when you are in the UK. Not even any corn snakes there.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #15
starwarsdad
I follow the same philosophy on wild caught snakes that I do with fish - catch and release. I love to hunt / catch wild non-venomous snakes and take pictures. Then I let them go. Of course, around here I do not know of any wild populations of corns.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:08 AM   #16
eddie1976
I personally do not see the harm in a wild caught corn or two. As long as it is in a sustainable population. If you wanted to catch a new jersey locale corn than no way but down where they thrive and do well, all the power. Well said quigs!

Old 01-05-2005, 06:16 AM   #17
JTGoff69
I have to agree with Quigs as well. I don't advocate catching wild corns in mass numbers, but where they are native and thriving, I would not have a problem with catching one myself (actually I'd be thrilled to see one here, all I've seen are black rats) and eventually breeding it with my cbs. The odds of hatchlings' survival in the wild aren't exactly high to begin with. Many more deer are shot here every year than could ever come close to a herper collecting a wild corn or two.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #18
Itsnowingcorns
OK, to those who say why am I bothered because I'm in the UK, it doesn't matter where I live, WC is still happening, so I care. IMO catching and putting them back is fine, I just don't like the idea of keeping them in a cage if they were born in the wild. I accept EVERYBODY'S opinion, and I never said I didn't.
Quote:
Example: I have kingsnakes, I had a few corns to cull so I fed them to my kings, only one person from the UK had anything good to say about it and most of the people from here in the US and Canada were fine with it
What are you trying to say here? Are they not entitled to their opinion even if they did disagree with what you did?
Now, the final question, does ANYBODY agree with me? (Most likely not)

Old 01-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #19
eddie1976
I do not think that is that nobody agrees with you. The poll proves it. I think that the pro componet of this question is just more vocal. But healthy debate is what keeps the world going on anyway.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:27 PM   #20
Itsnowingcorns
As long as it's healthy debate, and no arguments :P

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google