CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

There should be a torture chamber for...

Old 05-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #11
oldhand
Quote:
Wouldn't it be ironic if one of them swerved off the road and hit a tree while trying to run over some helpless animal?
If i saw that i would p#?# myself laughing.

Sorry it's just really upsetting when thing like this happen.... more so when done on purpuse.

SnakeNutt i'm with you people like that should be, not to put to fine a word on it, castrated nice and slowley.

Old 05-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #12
mwr920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisuitl
Wouldn't it be ironic if one of them swerved off the road and hit a tree while trying to run over some helpless animal? My dad saw that happen to a guy who tried to run over a fawn that was waiting to cross the road with his mum. Served the guy right. He ended up pretty mangled too since he also wasn't wearing a seat belt. Can we say karma?
Looks like the karma police got him [/RADIOHEAD]

Old 05-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #13
Indyshark
I have seem the same thing on a mountain bike trail near my home. I like to walk the trail and most people on it ride bikes. On many trips I will see several small snakes that have been run over. I can't tell if the riders didn't see the snake or swerved to hit it. I found one pretty snake that had just been run over. I could tell it wasn't going to make it so I moved it off the trail and into the grass. It was depressing.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #14
MegF.
I know there are people who will deliberately run over any animal....sick! We've done local talks at our PetCo on the difference between rattlesnakes and non-poisonous varieties, and it went over really well. My friend used to have a 5 ft. Western diamondback that was about as thick around as your arm and had fangs that were easily visible across the room. He used to bring him out to demonstrate the differences between the two species. Old Harrah finally died of old age at 25 yrs. old! Our local state park has a wildlife center and they have reptile appreciation day where you can bring your reptile to show off in a contest for the prettiest and ugliest. They also show the local reptile population and do education, so there's plenty of stuff out there for people to learn.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:39 PM   #15
cornsnakejunkie
Ignorance

That is all it is. One time when I was about 9 or 10 my Mom and I were driving down the road and what appeared to be a king snake was crossing. Her, having the philosophy "the only good snake is a dead snake" runs over it, stops the car, backs up over it, and runs over it again. This broke my little heart, as I was begging her not to run over it in the first place. Unfortunatly to this day I cannot convince her that snakes play a vital role in nature, but I still haven't stopped trying, and I never will. She(along with millions of others)still believe that "coachwhips" will actually whip you to death, "racers" will chase you down just to bite you, and so on and so on. Until recently(thanks to me)she believed that racers were venomous.....And I mean absolutly no disrespect to my Mom as I love her more that anything, but she has been brainwashed by myth and for some people the initial fear of the myth will always overcome the facts. But WE CAN'T STOP TRYING. I believe that as generations pass so do the myths, as I have noticed that the majority of "snakeaphobes" are in the upper age group, this is most likely in part due to people like us, the ones that are willing to take a stand and educate our young, not with assumptions and theories but with cold hard facts. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!

Matt

Old 07-09-2005, 02:40 AM   #16
Bl1nd
that frigin' piss's me off

Old 07-09-2005, 03:02 AM   #17
PssdffJay
That is really sick, I would assume some people would do it out of fear and lack of information, heck i was afraid of snakes a few months ago untill my friend made me hold his corn, now I have my own! But i would never run one over even if I was afraid!

Old 07-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #18
debcash
It amazes me how ignorant and just plain stupid some people can be. I have always loved snakes, (all animals) for as long as I can remember I was out catching frogs, snakes, salamanders and my husband and son are the same way. When we see something new - whether it's reptile, insect or bird -we have a great time researching it and learning about it. When we got our first family snake I was shocked at how many people (my neighbors and co-workers) thought I was insane...they are either terrified of snakes or just think that they are slimey creatures that have no purpose.
Last weekend I brought 'angel' out to the neighbors during a cookout and I was pleasantly suprised. The kids were curious and gentle - after handling her a bit thought she was wonderful. The parents who were very anti-snake, started to come around a bit... (It will take awhile to teach these people that snakes are beautiful creatures with an important role in nature.)
I have heard 'the only good snake is a dead snake' a dozen times since getting our corn snake.
Next week I am bringing Angel to my office for a short visit. I may not change eveyone's mind, but I'll do my best to make them think about letting a snake cross the road or their yard unharmed. (I love the idea of going to the school too!)
If we all do our part to help people understand and appreciate our reptile friends maybe we can save a few more. (I'm bringing a friend and her son to the reptile show in Sept.) This is a great thread - thanks for starting it!

Deb

Old 07-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #19
hana
some people are just

cruel. Why in the world would anyone hurt an animal that wasn't threatening their life? But I guess some people are just like that. One day I saw a group of older boys messing with some creature; it iritated me so I grabed my pitch fork (wasn't sure what I was going to to with it but ya never know ) turned out they had pulled a snapping turtle out of our pond and were getting ready to kill it. So, I told them in so many words that if they killed it no good would come of it and I watched like a hawk while they let it go took their stuff and left. There's just no reason for stuff like that. There really was no point to that story, but I'm annoyed and I tend to ramble when I get that way.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #20
cornsnakejunkie
A guy at work told me the other day that he saw a snapping turtle in the road, so he got out of his truck and shot it with a 9mm. His reason?......"those things are mean" he says. Now how exactly is a turtle "mean"? Moron.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google