CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

A bit of color here and there...

Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
CARattler40
A bit of color here and there...

Okay, a lot of color. The last litter from my black female, while small, yielded some mice with cool colors. It looks like I've got 1.0 white, 1.0 fawn, 0.1 yellow and 0.1 "weird thing" (yeah, I don't know too much about mouse color terms). There's also a 2-3 week old agouti in there from another litter (and pictures of the parents, of course). Enjoy!

The white male's trying to look like a girl in this picture (the nub-to-anus gap is actually about a quarter inch-- he's definitely a boy.)

Old 10-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
cncslick
awwww thier just to cute at that age, and such nice colors too.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:40 AM   #3
Ssthisto
Your male's a "fawn" (red-eyed-dilute red/dominant lethal yellow)
Your female may actually be a good dark Agouti or a self chocolate, not a self black.

You've gotten a pink-eyed white, a red, a fawn and a sable - and all three of the latter are heterozygous for Lethal Yellow. That's pretty good odds for the male having been heterozygous - especially since that pink-eyed white could be any colour under the white masking coat. Sort of like getting 75% Mack Snow geckos out of a mack X normal breeding.

I like mouse genetics - it's great fun working with something that's ready to breed in four to eight weeks instead of one to four years... and working out what genes pet-shop-bought animals carry based on the colours they produce is also fun.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
Flagg
I've got a bunch of the same colors with my latest mice bought at the local reptile show. What's the difference between fawn and red? I'd thought they were the same. I ended up with 2 fawn females and 1 fawn male and had to do some juggling of the pairs to make sure I didn't set up a colony with both male and female fawns.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Ssthisto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
I've got a bunch of the same colors with my latest mice bought at the local reptile show. What's the difference between fawn and red? I'd thought they were the same. I ended up with 2 fawn females and 1 fawn male and had to do some juggling of the pairs to make sure I didn't set up a colony with both male and female fawns.
Red is "Dominant Lethal Yellow". Reds, though they may be visually anything from deep red-brown to bright yellow, will always have black eyes.
Fawn is "Dominant Lethal Yellow" + "Pink Eyed Dilute". Fawns are usually lighter than reds - yellows mostly - but always have red/pink eyes.

And "Sable" is Lethal Yellow + "something else" that makes them go darker on the back - and can occur in pink eyed or black eyed animals.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
CARattler40
Update

Just a bit of an update on these little ones. They've all got their eyes open now and I took some individual pictures just for fun (they're all keepers anyway).

White male:

Sable female:

Red male:

Fawn female:

Their half sister, an agouti 2 weeks older than they are:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google