CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Corn Snake Distribution in SE USA

Old 01-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
SkyChimp
Corn Snake Distribution in SE USA

Where can I find Corn Snakes? Common question on this board. Here are some maps showing verified Elphe Guttata Guttata distribution:

Old 01-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Fenderplayer108
I never suggest catching one in the wild. When there is such a vast majority of captive born specimens that are well adjusted to captivity.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
SkyChimp
Maps would help

Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
SkyChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderplayer108
I never suggest catching one in the wild. When there is such a vast majority of captive born specimens that are well adjusted to captivity.

I don't suggest capturing them for keeps either. But I do suggest observing them in the field.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
SkyChimp
More.............

Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
SkyChimp
Need more maps

Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
leper65
NC

VA/NC/SC

Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Snakespeare
Does anyone know of specific locations in Virginia that are particularly good sites for field observation?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
SkyChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakespeare
Does anyone know of specific locations in Virginia that are particularly good sites for field observation?
I don't think I've ever gone out looking specifically for Corn Snakes. Where in the state do you live?

Corns would most likely be found around agricultural areas that attract mice - obviously. Old barns, sheds near corn fields and such would be my best guess.

If you don't have access to private land, I suggest any number of the good Wildlife Management Areas run by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. This is all public land. Most of them have "dove fields" that are planted with grain (sorgum and sunflowers) that attract doves. They also attract rodents. Herping these fields in April, May and June, as well as Sptember and early October would probably be very productive - if not for Corns, perhaps every other species that dine on rodents.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/

Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #10
Snakespeare
I live near Richmond, and there are certainly plenty of appropriate spots nearby. I'm just sort of weighing the idea of how much fun a field trip could be against the effort that might be involved in tracking down a snake that is, at the end of the day, pretty common in this area (we have one in the family room, after all). I grew up in the mid-west, and our yard had lots of garter snakes in it, and I handled them often and released them shortly afterward. And since moving to Virginia I've seen snakes in the wild--copperheads and water snakes while fly fishing, rat snakes and milk snakes in yards--but no corn snakes (though I haven't exactly sought them out either).

I guess since I've never deliberately gone on a field hunt for snakes, I'm thinking about the process. Bird watchers tend to congregate in particular areas that are known to contain particular species, and fossil hunters and rock hounds are familiar with productive sites for their pursuits. I was just wondering if there were famous corn snake "hot spots" in Virginia. The process is probably more like fishing, in which one reads the water and develops techniques for effectively finding trout even in unknown rivers. And yet there's always something comforting about fishing familiar water where one can focus on spots that have been particularly productive in the past.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google