CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Second Herpin' Trip of 2007

Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #11
plasticknives
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyChimp
Garters and Ribbons are both in the genus Thamnophis. So they are very closely related. Some species in that genus look similar, so are easily confused.

When you say north west coast, do you mean Pacific Northest (northern California, Oregon, Washington)?

According to my main book, Snakes of the United States and Canada, Northwestern Garter Snakes, Western Terrestrial Garter Snakes, and Common Garter Snakes are native to that area (maybe some more i missed). The pictures in the book show so many color variations of the Common Garter, some of which look very close to the snake I photographed today. So, you probably have been catching Garters that simply look similar to my Ribbon.

Ribbons are very common around here. I caught it in a text book area (in high woods next to a swamp). It's a small, very slender snake. That one would probably be an adult. The main visual difference between a Ribbon and a Garter are the clean labial scales around the mouth. Garters' mouth scales usually have dark marks.

Oh alright then. Good to know I likely have been getting it right....
doesn't really matter what he is, though, he's a cute little bugger!

By west coast I mean Victoria/the gulf islands actually, but I figured I'd stick a north in there just because we're more north than all of you in americaland. I don't think I've found many snakes on the mainland, but maybe thats because we usually got out away from the city by going to the island..

Maybe thats why I decided to come here for school- no wild snakes on the mainland!

-Kelsey

Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
SkyChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsock
I thought I saw before on your first outing that you took your kid with you, is that something you do alot??

As much as I can, but not as much as I'd like, if that makes any sense. I have two boys, 9 and 11.

My youngest is more fascinated by snakes, but doesn't last long in the field. My herping trips with him are usually close to home, and pretty short because he starts to wear out quickly. Once he wears out, the whining starts. Then neither one of us have fun then. We usually get out once a week somewhere. I try to leave and take him home before he wears out so he leaves wanting to do more (hopefully so he doesn't end up hating it).

My oldest isn't fascinated like with snakes like my youngest (or myself), but he likes being outdoors, is long winded, and makes a great companion even if he's not all that interested in snakes. He can pretty much last all day. We don't get out as often because he's always got plans (friends, karate, couts, etc). Maybe once a month or so.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #13
SkyChimp
I don't know anything about centipedes. I'd like to know more about this thing. It was under a log and was about 3 inches long.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
WLReptile
Centipedes not fun geting sting by one of those I'm from PR were there is a lot of them u mostly find them under rocks were is humid and there is shade u can also find them inside ur house and get sting
One night I was asleep with ma hands underneath the pelow and I got stung by one I jump of bed and saw him crawling
Simptoms fever,shaking, nausea.
I'm not sure how this works bt ma grandmother puts them in a jar with alchol for months and then is use for swealing and spraines ankles like a massage I don't really like them as much just cuz I got stung by one .

Sorry for the poor grammer

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google