CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Very UNUSUAL garter...

Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
Drewby07
"the calico gene" is a misnomer....it has been mentioned in corns, but genes are species specific, so "the calico gene" in corns would not be applicable in garters.

That said, looks like some sort of congenital "defect". The scales around the mouth and eyes show the strange color, but appear totally normal. DEFINITELY a keeper....see if the color stays after a shed....see if it'll eat. Garters are cool snakes.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Allison
Wow, thank you for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGERcream View Post
maybe these guys could help you?! ---> http://www.thamnophis.com/forum

I have to agree with the others, I'd breed it or sell it to someone who's into those garters
Thank you for the link, I will ask them what they think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodu View Post
I agree with what everyone says about this gem with one caveat. You might want to wait for a shed to see if the color remains after the shed. It might be some dye that he got from somewhere!
Thamnophis.com is a good place to start. You might also want to show him to Scott Felzer http://www.albinogartersnake.com/ .
Definitely a good idea. I was wondering what he would look like after new skin. I don't believe it is any sort of dye or yard poison because the scales seem so normal, as does his alertness. Thanks for the links, I'm headed over there soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornsnake124 View Post
This is thinking out of the box, but could it be the calico gene in this wild snakes bloodline?
Another thing that popped into my mind was an old burn..????
I was hoping it was a new "calico garter gene" but I am much more ready to accept a genetic disorder.. lol (Don't want to get too ahead of myself) As for a burn, I don't believe so. The scales are perfect, they are just strangely colored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewby07 View Post
That said, looks like some sort of congenital "defect". The scales around the mouth and eyes show the strange color, but appear totally normal. DEFINITELY a keeper....see if the color stays after a shed....see if it'll eat. Garters are cool snakes.
His face is my favorite part... all scales are completely undamaged but are "splattered" with the color.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
RobbiesCornField
Calico or paradox? Very cool find either way! Congrats!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
Cornsnake124
either way you should try to breed or sell it to someone who will to see if it is recessive..

Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
wade
Allison, may I just say that you have a very pretty thumb.

Be very, very, quiet. In Arizona you need a fishing license to catch snakes and I'm pretty sure it is illegal to sell snakes that you have caught. Mr. Ranger reads this forum from time to time.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
JoannaD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Allison, may I just say that you have a very pretty thumb.

Be very, very, quiet. In Arizona you need a fishing license to catch snakes and I'm pretty sure it is illegal to sell snakes that you have caught. Mr. Ranger reads this forum from time to time.

This is the best advice in the whole thread!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
CRIKEY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodu View Post
I agree with what everyone says about this gem with one caveat. You might want to wait for a shed to see if the color remains after the shed. It might be some dye that he got from somewhere!

Thamnophis.com is a good place to start. You might also want to show him to Scott Felzer http://www.albinogartersnake.com/ .
GREAT FIND! I never found a garter like that when I was living in AZ. I would definitely e-mail Scott Felzer. He is on the forefront of breeding new color morphs of garters. I think he will like to see these pics. Keep us posted.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #18
tricksterpup
Hey Allison, a person to shoot and email to would be Scott Felzer. He would your best bet. PM me if you want his email address.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
Petruga
Yah, that is a wicked find, were i live we have melanistic garters, red sided, and normal, never found anything like that. and i agree with robbie, paradox.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #20
VickyChaiTea
Gaaaaaaaah now I really want that garter. :C I looooove animals with splotches of color like that!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google