CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Very UNUSUAL garter...

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #41
tricksterpup
Oh they do, where do you think we get some of our morphs, some are found naturally. And I have seen puppy dog tamed snakes from the wild.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #42
Cornsnake124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
And I have seen puppy dog tamed snakes from the wild.
but garters?? most that i have encountered have tried to kill me, and the ones who didn't bite wouldn't let me get close... Usually the garters i catch are little tiny yearlings.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #43
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornsnake124 View Post
but garters?? most that i have encountered have tried to kill me, and the ones who didn't bite wouldn't let me get close... Usually the garters i catch are little tiny yearlings.
well maybe that species doesn't like you.
I have picked up wild snakes and they have been calm.

But mind you, I have seen bull snakes hiss and holler in others hand's and are calm in mine. I think its either hormones or just attitude with the animals.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #44
Cornsnake124
that seems to happen with me and wild cattle, but thats a whole different story.

Bull snakes do just fine with me. (in most cases)

Maybe its just the location difference i don't know....

Old 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #45
PJ@PJCReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Allison, may I just say that you have a very pretty thumb.

Be very, very, quiet. In Arizona you need a fishing license to catch snakes and I'm pretty sure it is illegal to sell snakes that you have caught. Mr. Ranger reads this forum from time to time.
Well placed and well stated! Always know your local laws on capturing wild life of any sort! Nanci linked us to this and you will find at the end of the 40+ page article, your state's laws on this matter.

http://tinyurl.com/m4cwad

Best if you all take a look at at least your state's laws on the chart near the last pages.

PJ

Old 08-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #46
Brewster320
You could always say its an eastern garter or something, when it comes to morphs you can pretty easily pull something like that off. I've heard of a story in Rhode Island where a man kept a Tiger Retic in a pet store (they are illegal in RI). Well fish and game came to investigate a report of a retic. Well he walked right up to the retic and asked what it was, the store owner told him it was a arock x burm hybrid. The fish and game officer bought it and even said it was a very cool looking animal. It might not be the right thing to do but its very possible.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #47
Nanci
Did you say you need a fishing license to collect snakes? It might not hurt to have one...

Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #48
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster320 View Post
You could always say its an eastern garter or something, when it comes to morphs you can pretty easily pull something like that off. I've heard of a story in Rhode Island where a man kept a Tiger Retic in a pet store (they are illegal in RI). Well fish and game came to investigate a report of a retic. Well he walked right up to the retic and asked what it was, the store owner told him it was a arock x burm hybrid. The fish and game officer bought it and even said it was a very cool looking animal. It might not be the right thing to do but its very possible.

I would be careful on this. DNR up here know their Garters and other wild life. They may not know exotic species but tend to know their own neighborhood.
What is odd, its hard to tell the direct species on this animal. It either of 2 species and it hard trying to nail it down.
It could be a Checkered or a Terrestrial Gartersnake.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #49
Allison
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornsnake124 View Post
that snake is a REALLY tame garter... I am kinda wondering if maybe... it could be an escaped pet or something?? i wouldn't think that a morph would just develope on its own in the wild..
This crossed my mind for a moment too. This garter is clearly older than a hatchling and not very "wild". I have grown up with this species and in my observation they tend to be pretty slow and calm compared to some garters I have found in the Midwest.
That being said I highly doubt the probability of someone losing their piebald garter out their back door.

Quote:
I have picked up wild snakes and they have been calm.

But mind you, I have seen bull snakes hiss and holler in others hand's and are calm in mine. I think its either hormones or just attitude with the animals.
Yep, very true. Some wild caught snakes are more tame than my own! It just depends on the snake and the individual I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Did you say you need a fishing license to collect snakes? It might not hurt to have one...
Nope, not a fishing license but a general hunting license. I have been reading up like crazy...

Quote:
I would be careful on this. DNR up here know their Garters and other wild life. They may not know exotic species but tend to know their own neighborhood.
What is odd, its hard to tell the direct species on this animal. It either of 2 species and it hard trying to nail it down.
It could be a Checkered or a Terrestrial Gartersnake.
It's a Terrestrial. The Checkered garters are mostly found in central and southern Az and I am far north.

This is a cool link to the Az species if anyone would like to check it out.
http://www.reptilesofaz.org/herp-snakes.html

Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #50
VickyChaiTea
Guuuuuh you're sure you can't ship him/her? Hey, that reminds me... have you/can you sex it yet?

I'd take it if you can ship.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google