CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Very UNUSUAL garter...

Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #51
tradernick
One thing is certain that is one handsome snake. What a great find. I'd keep it (if legal) even if it weren't something I was interested in breeding right away. We never know what the future holds and that's a great addition to a collection!
Please do keep us posted!
Nick

Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #52
RavenSpirit360
I wouldn't release it... Keep it as a pet for now and look more into it.. And contact some of the bigger garter breeders that do morphs. They might know ways around the laws or little loopholes. I will come get it from ya if you want

Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #53
gelshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
It's a Terrestrial. The Checkered garters are mostly found in central and southern Az and I am far north.
If you go to the garter snake forum I think most will tell you that it is a wandering garter (Thamnophis elegans vagrans) rather than a terrestrial. I think (but not sure) most of them refer to Thamnophis elegans terrestris (which technically does not exist anymore) as the terrestrial.

There have been some changes to recognized subspecies in Thamnophis elegans somewhat recently - so that adds to the confusion and disagreement on what is or isn't a "terrestrial garter" (it seems some of them are reluctant to change)

It seems that Thamnophis elegans went from

many subspecies (6 that i could find)

(1. Thamnophis elegans elegans 2. Thamnophis elegans arizonae 3. Thamnophis elegans hueyi 4. Thamnophis elegans terrestris 5. Thamnophis elegans vagrans 6. Thamnophis elegans vascotanneri)

to officially 2 subspecies

(1. T. e. elegans 2. T. e. vagrans)

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #54
Allison
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyChaiTea View Post
Guuuuuh you're sure you can't ship him/her? Hey, that reminds me... have you/can you sex it yet?
No sex yet, I'm worried I might injure or stress it out at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelshark View Post
If you go to the garter snake forum I think most will tell you that it is a wandering garter (Thamnophis elegans vagrans) rather than a terrestrial. I think (but not sure) most of them refer to Thamnophis elegans terrestris (which technically does not exist anymore) as the terrestrial.

There have been some changes to recognized subspecies in Thamnophis elegans somewhat recently - so that adds to the confusion and disagreement on what is or isn't a "terrestrial garter" (it seems some of them are reluctant to change)
Very interesting! I was using the Arizona Reptile page as a reference. It shows pictures of my little guy under the name "Terrestrial".
Looking at him up close and then comparing him to Wandering garters.. they just don't look similar enough. But who knows? He very well could be

Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #55
Allison
Oh, and great news! He took a fuzzy mouse for me without a single problem!! WOOT!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #56
gelshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
I was using the Arizona Reptile page as a reference.
Imagine my surprise when they (at the garter snake forum) told me that here in Colorado we do not have terrestrial garters. I was using the Colorado Herpetological Society's website as reference which says we do - lol

Old 08-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #57
Allison
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelshark View Post
Imagine my surprise when they (at the garter snake forum) told me that here in Colorado we do not have terrestrial garters. I was using the Colorado Herpetological Society's website as reference which says we do - lol
Haha! I guess we are behind the times and slow with the info then.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #58
Allison
NEW SKIN!

Alright everyone, he/she finally shed! The results are awesome. The dorsal stripe is WHITE. The snake also does not show any "normal" colors such as yellow, green, brown, etc. I wonder if the mutation is linked to anery somehow? But that doesn't explain the lack of yellow...

anyway, enough rambling. Here are the pics. I apologize for the blurriness and poor quality, it's hard to catch good shots in a dark house.

(Note the color)

Look at it's side!

Any new thoughts with the new shed?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #59
Allison
Forgot this one- mid shed

Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #60
Petruga
That is a CRAZY looking garter, are you breed him/her?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google