CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

The Little Cobra That Could: A Drama

Old 10-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #71
bfreewally1
I`m not pro. I just told you what happened to me..

Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #72
bfreewally1
You could get bit by any animal and have a reaction. At least cold blooded don`t carry rabies.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #73
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreewally1 View Post
. . . except for the coral which looks alot like a form of kingsnake except this phrase. Red bordering yellow can kill a fellow, (Coral) and red bordering black can`t hurt Jack. (kingsnake)...
I always like to point out when this comes up that this rule only applies to our coral snakes. The central American coral snakes (and possibly others, but I will only speak of that about which I am knowledgeable) do NOT follow this color pattern, so be careful about where you are when you decide to apply this rhymey rule of thumb, as it can lead you astray about what is safe to handle, depending on your location.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #74
Urban_M86
Incredible story, my wife was laughing like crazy!!!

Old 10-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #75
Carinata
Ok well I just stumbled onto this. First off free handling ANY snake or other animals that has the venom to cause moderate to lethal harm should be advised against. It is stupid and why risk it ya know Hognose snakes of north America (heterondon) are mildly venomous and do not usually bite. I have caught my fair share of Eastern hogs in my area they usually put on a show and throw a tantrum but almost never bite. Now I garters are also in my book considered mildly hot so I try not to get bit. I do breed garters abd the babies have little 'tudes but I really don't bother throwing on the wussie gloves. But my adult female sure I am cautious. The fact of the matter is why not use simple precautionary techniques and avoid any harm than put you self in harms way?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #76
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreewally1 View Post
robbie don`t be mean. this site is for all of us...We all have our opinions. I didn`t say anything bad..
The problem with the interweb is anyone can read it...
As snake/reptile keepers we need to make sure the information we put out there is correct and not in the slightest dangerous to our charges or to our selves..
I only use sites where you can guarantee the info given out by members, and any miss-information is corrected quickly...
None of us wants to be associated with a mickey mouse forum...
If you had put IMO before it...... Well thats another matter...

Old 10-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #77
ceduke
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
members of the Leioheterodon are not at all toxic to humans. Having been bitten by a subadult male L. madagascariensis during a feeding response, and a female adult, I can personally vouch for the fact that there were no toxic reactions to the bite.

Quote above is from a website ^^ Their saliva only "stuns" their prey and is harmless to humans
This may be from the beginning, but it's BUGGING me. Leioheterodon are only found on MADAGASCAR. So this quote is irrelevant, as the snake in question is from the genus Heterodon.

OMG Hoggies are cute! I'm going to go cuddle mine now.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #78
Carinata
I do want a 1.1 of western hoggies in an aweful way!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #79
ceduke
Get 'em!! My hog is my favorite of all the snakes I've ever owned! I'd get her a boyfriend but she has an old injury which my vet thinks may cause problems if she's bred, so she's my favorite pet. They don't take up much space....

Old 10-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #80
Carinata
My mom said for my Birthday we can get a 1.1! I just asked her and she said that it would be fine because I am turneing 16. I am getting a male herald from my dad!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google