CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

First snake- trying to ID it's morph

Old 02-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
JKent2244
First snake- trying to ID it's morph

Hi all,

I recently bought my first corn snake and am new to the hobby. The person I bought it from was unable to tell me the sex of it, although I'm thinking male due to the elongated tale from the cloaca but it's hard to tell as it's only 6 months old. I think I'll eventually have a vet probe it get a definitive answer.

I was also wondering if anyone could help me ID the morph of the snake? As I've just got into the hobby, I'm trying to wrap my head around the variety of genetics/morphs.

The container it is in was just for transport and it has now happily settled into its vivarium (made sure to do my research and get it set up properly with a hide at heated/cool end, water bowel on the cool side and some sterile logs to climb over. I've also got a ceramic bulb heating the basking side on a day/night timer, set to the appropriate heat, with heat and light on for 12 hours a day. In the next day or so, I'll be taking delivery of some fake plants to add).

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
Shiari
It appears to be an amel.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:40 PM   #3
JKent2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
It appears to be an amel.
Thanks Sheri - I was thinking motley amel from what I've been able to research online, but I could be wrong on the motley part?

Old 02-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
Could you take some pictures in natural light? The first picture looks to be amel, but the color looks much different in the next photos. He may also be 'in blue' (the beginning stages of the shed process), but it might just look like that because the pictures are through the container.

Corn snake genetics are really fun. Most of the genes are recessive. You can look at most of the morphs and what genes are in them on iansvivarium.com.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
JKent2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Could you take some pictures in natural light? The first picture looks to be amel, but the color looks much different in the next photos. He may also be 'in blue' (the beginning stages of the shed process), but it might just look like that because the pictures are through the container.

Corn snake genetics are really fun. Most of the genes are recessive. You can look at most of the morphs and what genes are in them on iansvivarium.com.
Thanks, Hypoctopus- I'll make sure to get some photos in natural light tomorrow (or rather later today looking at the time). I haven't noticed any greying of the eyes but I'll double check later.

Thanks again for the help!

Old 02-10-2021, 12:54 AM   #6
Rich Z
Unless the abdomen is patternless, I think you should call it an Amelanistic Corn Snake and just call it a day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google