CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

On the subject of supposedly blue corns...

Old 02-04-2004, 07:46 PM   #21
Jeff Lewis
ANOTHER BABY

ANOTHER BABY

Old 02-04-2004, 07:48 PM   #22
Jeff Lewis
last baby

this the last baby.. REMEMBER, THESE ARE THEIR SNAKES.. THESE ARE NOT THE ONES I AM ADVERTISING...

Old 02-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #23
CAV
I know the computer changes the colors...

I've got to be honest, they look like Anery Motleys to me.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #24
ecreipeoj
Email address

I got the breeders email address and will contact her and get as much info as I can on the "Blue"Motleys. I will try to ask the appropriate questions and present the info here.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:08 PM   #25
Jeff Lewis
I will admit that they look a bit like anery's..but as i said, the breeders said they were NOT.. The color is slightly washed out, but you get the idea of the grayish-blue color..
Is it possible they are a NEW type of Anery??

Old 02-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #26
Serpwidgets
I'll go back to the "Brown Bag"

Like I said, I saw these at the Tinley Park show. They looked exactly like Anery Motleys to me, and I wouldn't have known they were "special" had they not been labeled as they were.

If you were to put 2 Miami Phase corns and 18 normals in deli cups lined up on a table, how many picks would it take anybody to pick out the two Miamis? Probably two. Possibly 3 if some of the normals tended that way or you had "low grade" Miamis.

If you were to put two of the things I saw labeled as "blue motley" on a table along with 18 anery motleys, there's no way I (or IMO anyone else except maybe the person who bred them and recognizes their own offspring) would be able to pick out the two in any less than an average of 10 or so guesses.

To me, that says they are NOT special. It doesn't help that the most recent picture posted was quite obviously taken with a bright blue light or object to the left of the subject. Someone should congratulate themselves on also having produced "blue" aspen shavings.

They are anery motleys. Even if there is some "genetic" component to whatever it is that's supposed to be different about them, it's subtle enough that I wasn't able to see anything "odd" while examining them in person.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:38 PM   #27
Jeff Lewis
Let me say again, those last pics i posted were not from me..
Listen, I am only re-selling what was sold to me..
I was a vendor at the recent Jax,Fla. show, and Bayou was right beside me.. I personally witnessed them sell quite a few to a couple other dealers, who i believe breed corns themselves..

I will say that they kinda resemble an anery, however, i think they also vary a little as far as color goes..
Now i am not a breeder of corns, and are not up on the latest morphs.. However, all the anerys that i have seen were pretty dark.. There may be another type of anery that i havent seen.. They do have a faint blue-ish tint to them..
As far as the blue light, those were their pics.. I tried to take as much time taking those pics as i could... There are no artificial lighting in my pics..

Old 02-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #28
Kat
Jeff, Serpwidgets isn't attacking your integrity... he's saying that without further info, and given the images he's seen, he's unwilling to concede that the snakes you've got are anything special. At this point in time, neither am I. Neither of us is making accusatory statements... just opinionated ones.

If it were me, and I had snakes that looked like that, I'd be labelling em Anery Mots, and nothing more. They're pretty anery mots, to be sure, but I don't think I could pick em out from a group of anery mots sitting on a table.

Quote:
I know they were selling these in Daytona this past year like hotcakes, so they must be a little something..
Just because people buy it doesn't mean that it must be good. You'd be surprised at how many people actually buy those enlarger patches they sell in spam emails too. (I need to find that number again... it's an interesting statistic...)

Without better info, I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with P.T. Barnum on this one. Maybe you can get the original breeder to join this thread and argue the point?

-Kat

Old 02-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #29
Alicia
Thanks for posting the pics Jeff. After viewing all the photos I too think they look like Anery Motleys. They are very pretty animals. I know it can be a challange to capture all the subtle hues with pics. Hopefully more info will come out about them from the breeder.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:15 PM   #30
carl3
anery motleys

I agree with CAV, Alicia and Serp on many points. I re-read my earlier post and apologize if it came off harsh. It's healthy for the corn snake community to question a new morph, its genetics, and its new name when it appears in the market. It is important to be open-minded, yet skeptical at the same time. However, I think that the odds/probability are in favor of seeing a unique variation of an existing morph vs. actually seeing a new genetic mutation. Will we always be able to tell the difference without actual DNA testing...doubtful. I think there is an overwhelming desire for some people to create new morphs or see new ones discovered.

As far as this name...maybe I'm missing the point but labeling a corn 'blue' seems a bit risky. I would think it raises buyer expectations, which in turn may lead to disappointment and confusion. Butters and Bloodreds are called such since they display distinct colors without question or doubt. There is an expectation that Bloodreds will have a certain amount of red in them and will darken to a color red that is similar to blood. I think people are disappointed to some degree if their bloodred doesn't turn out this way. Same with butter and yellow. While there is variation among these, I don't think its anywhere near comparable to the questionable appearance of a bluish hue in otherwise greyish corns.

Is a blue cornsnake possible? I would like to think so especially since blue is seen in other snakes...although very rare (blue GTP's). I couldn't even imagine what the evolutionary advantage would be for any snake to have the genes for blue scales....although maybe it has to do with the green and yellow pigments in cells combining in some way. Are there any green corns? hmmm....

Thank you Jeff for speding time to discuss this and share pictures. I would be very interested to hear from other people that have bought those corns from Bayou (?) and how theirs have turned out. Otherwise, I agree that they do appear to be very nice anery motleys.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google