CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

On the subject of supposedly blue corns...

Old 02-05-2004, 12:09 AM   #31
ecreipeoj
Comparison Photo

The comparison photo shows me that there is a difference between these particular Anery Motleys. It would be difficult to doctor the color of one without it effecting the other.

I have held 100's of Anery Motleys in my hand and seen many more than that as shows and I have never seen one quite like the one on the left before. I have a Lavender Motley that resembles it more than an Anery Motley does.

It is difficult to judge from photos, but Clints anery and the "Blue" Motleys have the same "look" to me, considering the effects of the Motley gene is also contributing in the "Blues".

If Lavender covers up Anery A then we can not see the effects of a double homo for lav/anery A. I am not sure the verdict is in on that combo just yet.

Clint's parents of the Bluish/gray anery were possible het for anery B. Does Lavender cover up anery B? I personally, think that anery A and Anery B resemble each other much more than the snakes in this comparison photo and they are different.

What about an Anery B Motley? Charcoal Motley. I looked again at the photo that Rich posted in his photo Gallery of a Charcoal Motley. That photo looks very much like and Anery A Motley, but Rich says it is a Charcoal Motley so it is not questioned.

Does anybody have any info on possible homos for lav/aneryB?

The adult photo presented here does look like several Anery Motleys that I have, so I am not sure what side of the fence I am on, on this one.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:43 AM   #32
Serpwidgets
That's something else I thought could be possible... it could always be a charcoal motley, or an anery+charcoal+motley. Since Lav Motleys are selling for $1000 or more, I don't imagine anyone would be selling that combo for much less, at least if they knew what they had.

I haven't heard what the breeder said yet, apparently someone is asking? I would think if you had something that looked to you like an "odd anery" that you'd also want to test it against charcoal before coming to any conclusions. I'd hope they would've done that, but nobody has mentioned it.

No idea about the lav/anery thing. From what I remember, it might even swing either way depending on other factors, which would also mean there might be all kinds of shades in between the extremes. (Which could make things very interesting for all of us. )

Old 02-05-2004, 12:46 AM   #33
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally posted by Clint Boyer
P.S.
This gun is BLUED!
Ok, point made. I also think "red" as used in dogs is silly, but apparently that's the accepted use of the language, so it would be pointless for me to argue that part of it any more.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:52 AM   #34
Marcel Poots
Quote:
Originally posted by Clint Boyer

P.S.
This gun is BLUED!
And if we disagree we will get shot....?

Old 02-05-2004, 09:13 AM   #35
Clint Boyer
Now, now, Marcel.

I have never shot anyone...............YET!

Old 02-05-2004, 11:11 AM   #36
ecreipeoj
CAV and Serp should not have anything "Blue"

CAV Serp

CAV Serp

CAV Serp

Old 02-05-2004, 11:41 AM   #37
Alicia
Funny

Thats good Joe...........

Old 02-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #38
carl3
seems like there isn't really much more to discuss until we hear something about the geneology behind the snakes...and what, if any, breeding trials were done.

Old 02-05-2004, 01:04 PM   #39
ecreipeoj
I got a little info. More to come, maybe.

I have heard back from the breeder. He wants to call me today, so I will wait until I talk to him before I give out too much info. The "Breeder" in this case is not the breeder who bred the first "Blue" Motleys, but the breeder of these particular Blues. Hopefully, we can go back farther and talk to the breeder who produced this breeders Blues. A wholesaler is in the middle, so it may not be possible.

Hey, maybe they came from Rich from his Lav Motley project and they are double homo for Lav/aneryA Motley and he didn't know it.

I will give you a little now.

Blue X Pewter = Normal.

There goes all of my theories about the Anery B gene being involved!

Blue X anery A = infertile eggs. I know, I know, but they didn't have to tell us this either.

Why haven't you guys given Rich Z the going over for the Silver Queen Ghosts or did I miss that thread? Are they not genetically, just a Ghost?!

Is this not a simular situation? It still could be recessive genetics, but names are not always based upon the recessive genetics of the snake, but sometimes the look or normal genetics of a snake.

Agree with it or not, the genetics of a snake is not the only criteria for a name, unless you want to try to get Rich to change the name of the Silver Queens.

Old 02-05-2004, 01:20 PM   #40
Hurley
Quote:
Why haven't you guys given Rich Z the going over for the Silver Queen Ghosts or did I miss that thread? Are they not genetically, just a Ghost?!
I still want to know the answer to this one. Rich sells hypos het for silver queen. This would imply that the anery it's het for somehow carries the silver queen modifier with it. ( ? ) I've always wondered which gene carries the "silver queen" modifier. Is it on the anery? the hypo? or an independent gene? Is there anything other than ghost that is altered by whatever makes up the silver queen phenotype? What I mean is that if the thing that makes silver queen a silver queen is linked to or a modified version of the anery gene, you'd think there'd be a group of anerys from these lines with a different look. Likewise if it is a version of the hypo gene or linked to it. If it's an independent modifier, has it been seen in any other morph than silver queens?

If hets are being sold, I'm guessing it acts like a simple recessive...so which gene is it? The anery? The hypo? Some silver queen modifier?

I've never heard the final thought for this one, but I'd be curious to hear some thoughts/answers.

Oh, and I just had to add this:
I do have a blue snake, it's Riley's favorite.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google