CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

HELP! Something weird in the tank..

Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
amylucha
HELP! Something weird in the tank..

Hi Everyone,

I just got my baby last Sunday. I fed him one pinkie since he hadn't eaten in a week (according to the store).

I've left him alone since then - I wasn't planning on handling him until Friday. He's been fine since (although hiding a lot). The temp in his cage fluctuates between 84-88 degrees on the warm side and 70-75 on the cool side.

Today I came home and found this weird thing in his cage. Did he regurgitate? Here's a picture of it:

What is it?

Old 01-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Spirit
That certainly looks like a mouse to me, but I've never experienced a regurg so I don't know what that is... I can't (however) think of anything else it can possibly be. They stink badly, and are usually covered in goo/jelly/something of the like.

The temps are right but a GOOD cause for a regurg is that you fed him without letting him settle into a new home. When you bring the corn home you should give it at least a few days of NO CONTACT to allow it to adjust to the new environment. Then feed. Then wait 48 hours to handle.

Now assuming that IS a regurg (and I'm pretty sure it is), don't attempt to feed for another 10 days. The snake needs time for the stomach acids to build back up. Feeding too soon will cause another regurg. You can also feed just half a mouse at the next feeding (in 10 days) and carry on with 1 pink every 5-7 days (or whatever schedule he's on) after that.

On a brighter note though, the temps are correct. Congrats on your new pet and welcome to the forums!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Bluebeard
ya thats a regurge, make sure you wait the 10 days to feed again

Old 01-13-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
cornman1979
Yeah i would say definatly a regurge, and as Bluebeard said, wait 10 days before feeding again so the sakes natural acids can build up again.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:36 AM   #5
CornCrazy
Also when you feed again, feed a much smaller meal (like a pinky head). You may want to do that for a couple of times before trying a whole pink again.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
howiet4702
Just jumping in here...but that is a regurge...

Just wait the 10 days and feed a much smaller meal....

Can't give you anymore info than that..everything was pretty much covered already.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google