CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

I have 1.1 Green Tree Pythons and I thought they were frustrating but these corns...

Old 09-16-2002, 10:59 AM   #1
Sweet Pickle
Angry I have 1.1 Green Tree Pythons and I thought they were frustrating but these corns...

Hi, I have kept a couple of green tree's for the past couple of years and I thought they were frustrating... I just got back into corns and they are kicking my ass...
I got a few corn hatchlings at Pottstown and they all ate brained pinks the second day I had them. The next day they all regurged. Then I got a couple of hatchling Okeetee's that had just eaten... The next day they regurged to keep in line with their friends.

2 of the corns that I got at Pottstown (and ate, then regurged) will not eat now. I want to pull out my freaking hair!

Do you guys normally deal with this regurgitation B.S. on a regular basis? I think that corns can not take meals as large as pythons (size for size - meaning that if a python can eat something that is 30% of its body weight a corn can not - a corn can maybe eat and digest 20% of its body weight without regurging)...does this make sense...? What have you guys found?

My snake room is a constant 80 degrees and they are all kept in plastic shoeboxes with a water dish, on paper towels, with their deli cups converted into hide places with damp spaghum moss in the deli cups.

I bred corns when I was in college in the early 90's and I don't remember getting this frustrated...

By the way, I bought 3 corns from Serpenco on Saturday - 1.1 2002 Miami Corns and 1.0 2001 Upper Keys Corn. All three snakes look great and I can't believe how inexpensive it was for all three snakes ($75.00 total).

What do you guys do during the dark days when your damn snakes won't eat? I know I am just freaking out for nothing because with patience most corns eventually start eating right???

Thanks for your responses in advance,

Peter

Old 09-16-2002, 12:48 PM   #2
Iris
Hm..I really don't know what to tell you but to start, I have it at 84ºF on the warm side and 75ºF on the cool side.
You should wait at least 7 days (minimum. I wait 9 days) after a snake has regurgitated before trying to feed it again.
I feed a food item that is just as thick as the snake at its widest part. The rodent shouldn't be more than 2x wider than the snake.

Old 09-16-2002, 11:14 PM   #3
Jr Nimeskern
Another really big thing that I learned this year was... like you I tried to feed my corns the next day I got back from my trip from the reptile show! all my corns also regurg their food... after a little research I read that you shouldnt try to feed your corns for at least 1 WEEK from the day you receive them or get them into their new environment... the trip would be very stressful... even if you got it from a breeder at a show... 1st they get the baby corn and take him on a ride for who knows how long... 2nd they put it up for sale infront of hundreds of people(baby corns already are scared, frightened and stressed out let alone with 100s of people looking and holding them) 3rd you buy that beautiful little guy and then you take him for a drive for who knows how long home. by this time your little guy is all stressed and tired out... he has a new enviornment which is stressful... so the moral of the story is not to feed your corns for at least 1 week after you get them... with my experience they will usually regurg their food most of the time... and dont try to refeed them after they regurg for at least 1 week... the acids in their stomach havent accumilated yet...
IM SO SORRY TO MAKE THIS EXTREMLY LONG!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT CAME OVER ME!

Old 09-16-2002, 11:47 PM   #4
kenalotia
I think JR is saying that they will usually regurge under the circumstances he mentioned - not that it is the norm for corns to regurge their meals on a regular basis. When I read
Quote:
with my experience they will usually regurg their food most of the time...
it looked a little confusing to me, so I just thought I'd add a clarification. Hope you don't mind.

Old 09-17-2002, 08:44 AM   #5
Jr Nimeskern
Thanks Ken for clearing that up... I didnt even proof read what I wrote... (I guess Im tired of proof reading since I have a 8 page report due in 1 week!) but thank for clarifying that up for me...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google