CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Still no pre lay shed?

Old 02-02-2022, 09:54 AM   #1
zoecornsnake101
Still no pre lay shed?

Still no pre lay shed or any sign of her going in blue… 26 days since visual lock (Jan 7th). I feel very prominent bumps in her, 12-13 marble sized. Is this normal not to have a pre lay shed by now? What’s the average of shedding after locking? She’s still not eating, even a hopper. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #2
Caryl
They usually lay between 30-45 days after mating. That's considered "normal" time frame, and it's a pretty large variance percentage-wise. Still, individuals can vary from this average. At this point, you don't need to worry. She'll likely go into the pre-lay shed cycle soon.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Old 02-02-2022, 12:28 PM   #3
Rich Z
Animals don't read the manuals that we do.

If you are concerned, best thing to do might be to just go ahead and set up an egg laying box and keep it in the cage with her. I would also recommend using as small of a water dish as you can. They have been known to decide that the large water dish is a just grand place to lay her eggs in. Which, of course, drowns the eggs.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:16 PM   #4
SnakeCreations
Oh gosh, what Rich said, for sure! I've had a female lay eggs and then shed. Crazy!

-Tonya

Old 02-03-2022, 08:18 PM   #5
Caryl
Yep. Me too. I am sorry I didn't think to mention putting a box in and down-sizing the water dish.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #6
zoecornsnake101
She has pushed all her bedding to one side, is this a sign of laying? she shed 8 days ago. Being very quiet now, was restless the last couple days. Still not eating. Cross your fingers

https://imgur.com/a/jQoMX6g

Old 03-03-2022, 11:58 AM   #7
Rich Z
What does your egg laying container look like? Remember that the female is going to be looking for a place to lay the eggs that will be fairly secure for the eggs, as well as being optimum for moisture content for the eggs to develop.

I used to use tupperware-like plastic containers with a tight fitting lid that I would cut a suitable sized hole in the lid. Then pack the dampened peat moss pretty tightly so the female has to actually burrow into it. This makes her feel secure, and likely has her feeling she has found a pretty good place to lay her eggs. This seemed to work the best.

You have probably heard people say that the female will lay her eggs around 10 days after the shed. In my experience, that isn't exactly accurate. If she can find what she considers as the most optimum place to lay her eggs, it will happen a LOT quicker than that. 10 days seems to be the point to where the female gives up looking for that optimum place and just settles for whatever she has available. In my experience, anyway. Remember, she doesn't want to hold off laying those eggs any longer than necessary. She is carrying the entire next generation offspring, so if a predator nabs her, so goes those offspring too. If she is prowling all over the cage ignoring the egg laying container you prepared for her, she is telling you that this just isn't what she really wants. If she just burrows into the egg laying container and stays there, then that is a real good sign that she is satisfied with what she has found.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
zoecornsnake101
Her egg laying bin is a 6qt clear tub with a white top. Her entry hole is on the side. She was very restless prior to today but is now settled in there nicely. I’m hoping it’ll be soon! It’s filled with sphagnum moss and moistened down since that photo was taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
breeding, eggs, pre lay shed