CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Swollen neck, pink belly?

Old 08-01-2023, 07:40 PM   #1
Maevenish
Swollen neck, pink belly?

Ok, So my corn is a 5 year old female. I took her to the vet the last time this happened and it's starting again. I like my vet and he's really nice. I just want to hear what you all think too. Peach has never laid eggs either. Don't know if that matters. Her morph is something like Ghost Blood red anery? I think. Her belly is white normally. She's just eaten two adult mice pretty readily (every two weeks) and she's looking for another one. I have pictures from when her throat was more swollen that I will attach to this post. She seems normal to me behaviour wise. I try to clean her poop out of her tank after she goes, but I can't find the last one. So what is wrong with her? I don't remember what it was before, I'll call the vet tomorrow. But what am I doing wrong? She's such a good girl. I just want what's best for her. I just took more pics to add and now I'm questioning if she does have the poofy chin and pink belly at all. The swelling in the pic from today is very slight. I'm just a worried mama. Not a crazy person, really. The pics with me in the blue shirt is from February 2023. The other two are tonight.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:04 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
When was her last shed?

Old 08-01-2023, 09:26 PM   #3
Maevenish
It's been like a month or so. Maybe two? I don't track them. Should I? I'm guessing yes since you asked. I would guess she should be due soon, maybe a couple weeks or so? I'm guessing here. She isn't in blue.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:28 PM   #4
Maevenish
I'm starting to feel like a moron. I will say that every time either my vet or someone who knows snakes sees her, they are very complimentary on her health...

Old 08-01-2023, 10:11 PM   #5
hypnoctopus
Don't feel like a moron! Tracking sheds can be helpful for things like this (and a few other things). Sometimes corns can get weird puffiness right before or during blue, so knowing if she's due might give you a clue. The pink belly isn't something I've seen, although it doesn't look bad to me.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:06 AM   #6
SnakeSmithS
Given that the swelling and redness have happened simultaneously twice now, it seems they are certainly related and of course swelling and redness are generally signs of inflammation of some type. Have you perhaps looked in her mouth to see if there is anything (?bedding) stuck in there, and has she had any discharge from her mouth, ...or have you noticed her gaping/yawning a lot? Also, what type of bedding is she being kept on, and have you changed the type of bedding recently? Knowing these facts might help us, help you, help her

Old 08-03-2023, 08:37 PM   #7
Maevenish
Ok, So I looked in her mouth and it's a very light pink. No redness or swelling inside. Nothing there either. Her belly is slightly pink but I just fed her the other day and don't know if their bellies turn red from increased blood flow to digest?Her neck looks normal. No swelling on the outside. I'm beginning to think I'm just overly nervous? She's on pine shavings and has been since I brought her home at 10 months old, so over 4 years on it. I have sphagnum moss in her warm hide. I will probably do a complete clean on her tank. It's a Zen Habitats 4x2x2. Her eyes are clear and not blue. She's honestly acting normal. She's around my neck right now and looking around and blepping. No open mouth or gaping. I take her out of her tank a few times a week and we do stuff together around the house. she likes hanging on my neck. I sometimes take her out in my car to do an errand. Yeah, I love her. We are partners. She will put her head in my hand for head pets. Any recommendations are welcome. Thank you all.

Old 08-03-2023, 10:20 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
No, the bellies shouldn't turn pink while digesting. I am wondering if the pine is the issue. Some people use it just fine (kiln dried), but there are also claims that pine and cedar are bad for corns. Maybe try switching to aspen and see how she's doing in a few months.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:05 AM   #9
SnakeSmithS
I agree 100% with hypnoctopus. I bet the pine is causing the irritation. Switch her to aspen and see what happens. Best of luck!

Old 08-04-2023, 09:20 AM   #10
Maevenish
Thank you all! I will get it immediately. And I hope to report a white tummy in a few months.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google