CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first year breeding

Old 02-27-2022, 01:29 PM   #11
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by inu009 View Post
I only have one male. Snake Discovery said in a video, if you only have one male, you can do the trick anyway, they won't realize the difference. (But I think/hope snakes cant be THAT dim lol). But I tried the trick and it did not work lol. But this was back in Jan and it was probably just too early to be trying anything.

Got another confirmed lock today.
Nice!
I usually don't have to, but with younger males I may throw a shed from another male in with, to see what they do.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #12
Caryl
Congrats on the confirmed breedings.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Old 03-09-2022, 09:31 PM   #13
inu009
Female already refusing food?

So let me preface this by saying that my female has always been my pickiest of eaters. For the timeline so far, she last shed 12/21, and I got my first visual lock on 2/24. All year so far she was uncharacteristically enthusiastic about food, but today she refused. I've been feeding her once a week since the first week of January, so it could be that she wasn't hungry. I don't know if I'm just reading too much into it? I just don't want to go off food too early, or maybe it's normal?

She just crossed the 700 gram mark, so I probably don't even have much to worry about.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:34 PM   #14
inu009
*** I meant I got my first lock on 2/22, sorry long day at work x.x

Old 03-13-2022, 08:48 AM   #15
Caryl
Females' appetite while gravid can vary quite a bit. Your girl may not want to eat if she's feeling full as eggs and embryos develop and take up internal space. Some steadfastly refuse meals. It's not ideal although she may still do well. You can try offering 1 or 2 smaller prey items such as hopper mice. You can also promote her appetite and, crucially, her muscle tone by encouraging gentle exercise. It's good for her any time, extra important now to help prevent dystocia. This can be as simple as her crawling around a room, or from one of your hands to the other. Aim for 10-15 minutes, twice weekly. I've got to add, 700 g is on the higher end for a corn snake. You state that her normal feeding interval is weekly. What is she eating? Have you a picture of her to share?

Old 03-13-2022, 07:32 PM   #16
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Females' appetite while gravid can vary quite a bit. Your girl may not want to eat if she's feeling full as eggs and embryos develop and take up internal space. Some steadfastly refuse meals. It's not ideal although she may still do well. You can try offering 1 or 2 smaller prey items such as hopper mice. You can also promote her appetite and, crucially, her muscle tone by encouraging gentle exercise. It's good for her any time, extra important now to help prevent dystocia. This can be as simple as her crawling around a room, or from one of your hands to the other. Aim for 10-15 minutes, twice weekly. I've got to add, 700 g is on the higher end for a corn snake. You state that her normal feeding interval is weekly. What is she eating? Have you a picture of her to share?

Oh her normal interval before I started pairing was a jumbo mouse every two weeks. Since January 1st, I've been feeding a large mouse weekly.

This was her in January
Name:  IMG_3617.jpeg
Views: 385
Size:  145.6 KB

She's just starting a shed cycle so that could be why too, she gets really picky about eating during shed. Which also leads me to ask..this is way too soon for a pre-lay shed right? I thought it was about 5 weeks after first lock.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #17
Caryl
If she's often picky when she's in a shed cycle and she is beginning one now, then yes, you can expect her to be even pickier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inu009 View Post
..this is way too soon for a pre-lay shed right? I thought it was about 5 weeks after first lock.
Not necessarily. I see that you confirmed a lock on 24 February. Given your good husbandry and her healthy condition, this is probably going to be her pre-lay shed. This is an area where the snakes definitely don't read the instruction manuals, lol. They can and do lay within a pretty wide range of "normal/average." 30-45 days is usually considered average for actually laying. The pre-lay shed cycle is of course earlier.

In my experience, females are pretty consistent about their own gravid period from season to season. Tulip, for instance, lays between 32-37 days after the last mating. Esperanza goes about 10 days longer. Victory tends to have an extended blue phase when she's gravid.

This being your girl's first clutch, you'll just have to do what you're doing and be observant of her physical changes and behavior. You should assume this is the beginning of her pre-lay shed. Give her a moist lay-box, make sure her water dish is too small for her to get inside, etc. There are excellent threads on this forum about the topic. If you do have questions we're happy to help.

So exciting!! Are you ready?!

Old 03-14-2022, 07:27 PM   #18
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
If she's often picky when she's in a shed cycle and she is beginning one now, then yes, you can expect her to be even pickier.

Not necessarily. I see that you confirmed a lock on 24 February. Given your good husbandry and her healthy condition, this is probably going to be her pre-lay shed. This is an area where the snakes definitely don't read the instruction manuals, lol. They can and do lay within a pretty wide range of "normal/average." 30-45 days is usually considered average for actually laying. The pre-lay shed cycle is of course earlier.

In my experience, females are pretty consistent about their own gravid period from season to season. Tulip, for instance, lays between 32-37 days after the last mating. Esperanza goes about 10 days longer. Victory tends to have an extended blue phase when she's gravid.

This being your girl's first clutch, you'll just have to do what you're doing and be observant of her physical changes and behavior. You should assume this is the beginning of her pre-lay shed. Give her a moist lay-box, make sure her water dish is too small for her to get inside, etc. There are excellent threads on this forum about the topic. If you do have questions we're happy to help.

So exciting!! Are you ready?!

Thank you so much for this info. Yep I already switched her water dish for a mug. I was going to set up moist lay box yesterday, but I want to cover the top of the enclosures first (we have a pesky fruit fly problem) so I'll do that in the morning.

Watching her behavior has been so interesting to me. Like how she was pacing her cage like crazy for a few days before the first lock and then after that, right back to normal. And currently she's ALWAYS under her warm hide when before she only went to that hide the night after a meal.

I got the incubator all ready, I unplugged this week (needed the extension chord I was using for work lol) but that should be plugged back in this Saturday. Here is the temps I was going for/getting.

Name:  IMG_4143.PNG
Views: 173
Size:  234.6 KB

In terms of making space for the babies, I have a plan, but I'm waiting on seeing how many eggs she lays and how many are fertile.

This all feels surreal, since I was 12, (so 16 years ago now) it was a dream of mine to own and breed snakes and this is really a dream come true lol.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:15 PM   #19
Caryl
Looks and sounds like you're ready for the next part of the dream. Your projected temps look good. Your girl is behaving like an expectant mother should.

I do understand the "dream come true" part. I felt very much the same with my first clutch, having waited many years myself. (I still have and still love that first pippie - Dazzler - though of course she's now an adult who's produced multiple fine clutches.) You know what? I still get excited. Every time.

Looking forward to your next phase! Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:09 AM   #20
inu009
Lay box has been provided! I introduced her to it and I kinda expected her to leave right away, but she's been hanging out. I tried the whole moist-hide when in shed when I first got her, and she never used it lol. I do live in Florida so (low) humidity is never the problem lol. Also please note the enclosure isn't usually this bare, I had to remove some decor to make room for the egg box, and I also had to remove her favorite cork round (sorry girl) it's impossible for me to get her out of there without a big ordeal and I couldn't have her laying her eggs in there.
Name:  IMG_4181.jpeg
Views: 168
Size:  41.2 KB

I have two more bags of moss on the way, I'm going to follow Rich's advice to make sure theres enough moss in there for her to dig down and feel safe, I dont need her holding on to those eggs any longer than necessary.

Also besides the bad lighting, here is a good shot of her lower half
Name:  IMG_4184.jpeg
Views: 176
Size:  195.2 KB

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google