CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

How often should I mist my tank/

Old 10-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Nitelion94
How often should I mist my tank/

Hello I have a corn shes in a 10gallon viv with paper towel substrate right now untill i can go to the petstore and get some aspen. Shes in shed I keep her a humid hide but I was wondering if I should mist the tank

Old 10-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Putty
Don't mist it. Just use a water bowl big enough for it to soak.

If there's any leftover shed use this method: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170

Please - try to use the search feature:

Old 10-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Nitelion94
Sorry putty i 4got about the search but ill start useing it

Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
bitsy
I never mist. If you're worried about a shed then you can put a small tub of damp kitchen paper in with him to act as a humid hide.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
l0ck_0ff
i dont mist either. i just have a water bowl big enough for it too soak... my snake almost never uses water to soak... he just kind of moves his way around his tank decor and it always comes off in one piece... usually wrapped around the tank

Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Dinah
We also don't mist our tank, but if you are concerned about humidity, you could always get a humidity gauge. We have one. Where I live corn snakes are native to the area so I try not to worry a lot about humidity. However I tend to over think and despite my best efforts I worry anyways so I said heck and spent the 10 or so bucks so. Now I can easily put my mind at ease with just a glance at the gauge.

Our gauge is almost always between 40-60% but there have been a few soupy FL days where Zelda's gauge and the house one both read 90-100% humidity.

I wouldn't say that a gauge and misting are necessary, but if you are worried then sticking a gauge in their certainly won't hurt. I would recommend a bowl that is big enough for the snake to get into regardless of what you decide to do about misting (unless your snake is sick or prone to seizures of you have some other reason to keep it away from lots of water). Even if you have a gauge and keep things perfectly misted snakes are unique so your snake might just want a soak...or not, but with a nice bowl they can choose whatever they feel like.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
l0ck_0ff
think bout if you mist the tank the aspen will stay soggy.... and it willl eventually smell..... hence why aspen comes dry in the bag and pete moss or spagnum moss comes wet....

Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Jessicat
If your snake is having problems shedding make a moist hide for him.

They're very easy.
1) Get a margarine (or any plastic) container
2) Cut a slit in it for snake entrance,
3) Soak some sphagnum moss, wring it out so that it's damp but not wet
4) Place the damp moss inside of the plastic container and put the lid on
5) Place the container inside of the snake's viv

This hide is only necessary when your snake is about to shed, but you can leave it in there as a permanent hide if your snakes really like it. Just make sure to keep the moss moist, replacing it when necessary.

Also, please note that if you do not have a moist hide its not like your snake will have problems shedding. Snakes have a HUGE threshold for humidity. I think it's somewhere from 10-80% that they're okay with. If your snake has problems shedding though, as in the shed does not come off in one long piece, this can be a way to ensure that your snake will have a good shed the next time.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:38 PM   #9
cloaks
It’s recommended that you keep the humidity up to 50. In my personal experience aspen is a bit too dry, so I use ReptiBark. I also have a large water bowl for soaking and I mist once a day. That’s just my personal preference though.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:41 PM   #10
cloaks
It’s recommended that you keep the humidity up to 50. In my personal experience aspen is a bit too dry, so I use ReptiBark. I also have a large water bowl for soaking and I mist once a day. That’s just my personal preference though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google