CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

New Owner Anxiety

Old 07-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
candythecornsnake
New Owner Anxiety

Hi! I just got a new baby corn, who is precious, but I find myself stressed that I am going to do something wrong, and I would appreciate some reassurance or advice from more experienced keepers. I've included a list of my enclosure's numbers here, as well as a couple of concerns that I have.
  • Hot Side: 82-83 F
  • Cold Side: 77-79 F
  • Basking: 90-92 F
  • Humidity: 45-50%
  • Decor: 2 hides, a few thoroughly cleaned PVC pipes with the edges sanded down, 2 branches, and a water bowl

My main concern now is that they don't really seem to be taking to the water bowl; they were drinking some droplets of water after I lightly sprayed the enclosure to raise humidity a bit yesterday, but I don't want them to end up dehydrated. I'd also appreciate some tips on feeding.

Thank you!

Old 07-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
nikkirnoto
I am a new corn owner too and have struggled with temp control but what I've observed is that corns perfer to hide, they don't bask much so the extra hot area isnt necessary for them. We have a tank with a cool side of 72-78 and warm side of 80-85 (usually at 82). Our corns burrow and are really good a keeping themselves regulated. Also they are used to lower night time Temps so we shut off lights at night and they are doing well!

Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see pictures our your new member.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
They really don't drink super often, that's normal for them. And they're also crepuscular, so most likely they're drinking at night when you're not watching. As long as they have fresh water, you don't really have to worry about dehydration. Your temps on the warm side sound a little bit too hot. I prefer a warm spot of around 87. They usually will only want the heat when they're digesting, so don't be concerned if they spend most of the time on the cooler end.

As for feeding, have you attempted a feeding yet? How long have you had the snake and did the breeder or seller provide any sort of feeding record or guarantee that the baby has already eaten several times? You'll want to let them settle in for a week before you try feeding. During that time, no handling and try not to mess with the tank a bunch either. After the week is done, place the baby in a small container in the evening. Put that container in a quiet dark place while you thaw out a pinkie mouse. Thaw with super hot water. Put the pinkie in with the snake, close the lid, and leave them alone for about half an hour. Check in at that point to see if it's been eaten. If not, reheat the pinkie and leave it overnight. Make sure the container has air holes and is also escape proof. Deli cups work perfectly for feeding baby corns.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
candythecornsnake
I'll be feeding them tonight for the first time, and I appreciate the tips! I got them from a specialized reptile store, I believe they ate 3 weeks in a row before they came to me, so they've definitely been on it. I have noticed them spending more time on the cool side, I figured they'd spread out more evenly, but I'm going to get a stand soon to distance the lamp from the warm side just a little bit.

Thank you for the reply! My worries have eased a bit as I get used to the routine and what the reptile needs, my previous pets have been much more needy so I'm used to giving a lot more attention than I do for Candy. I'll keep a close eye on the temps and humidity, of course, but for now I'm just letting them rest!

Old 07-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
candythecornsnake
I'll be feeding them tonight for the first time, and I appreciate the tips! I got them from a specialized reptile store, I believe they ate 3 weeks in a row before they came to me, so they've definitely been on it. I have noticed them spending more time on the cool side, I figured they'd spread out more evenly, but I'm going to get a stand soon to distance the lamp from the warm side just a little bit.

Thank you for the reply! My worries have eased a bit as I get used to the routine and what the reptile needs, my previous pets have been much more needy so I'm used to giving a lot more attention than I do for Candy. I'll keep a close eye on the temps and humidity, of course, but for now I'm just letting them rest!

Old 07-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #6
candythecornsnake
How rude of me to not include a picture! Here's the little cutie:

https://imgur.com/a/q8XVgKr

Old 07-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
hypnoctopus
Very cute! And yeah, corn snakes are very low maintenance pets. Part of what makes them so appealing and addictive!

Old 07-18-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
nikkirnoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by candythecornsnake View Post
How rude of me to not include a picture! Here's the little cutie:

https://imgur.com/a/q8XVgKr
What a cutie!

I agree with them being addictive We bought our Roxie and the 5 days later daughter bought hers!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Old 08-01-2021, 05:21 PM   #9
Sissy
So pretty!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
care, concerns, feeding, husbandry