CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

baby corn new behaviour??

Old 07-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
clemclem
Question baby corn new behaviour??

hi!
I got my first baby cornsnake around a month ago now and everything has seemed okay so far in terms of temp [hot side: 27.5-29 celsius (81-85f), cooler side: 23-26c (73-78f)] n getting them comfortable etc but this last week they have been acting different. i’m unsure if it’s their first shed with me approaching!

i usually feed them a pinkie on friday or saturday nights but in the past week they haven’t eaten at all, i’ve offered food to them twice (once on friday n sunday to reduce stress) n they poked their head out of the hide when i held it near them but didn’t strike so i left it on smth inside their tank for the night. i woke up n it was in the same place, so were they. they’ve never not eaten before and usually they’re exploring atleast for a little or sitting/climbing in the plants at night outside of their hide but for the past week they’ve been curled up in their warm hide 95% of the time???

they don’t look like they’re shedding but i read sometimes snakes will preemptively stop eating n hide more a week or so before their shed. do you think it may be that?

or any other thoughts would be appreciated! i’m a little anxious since it’s my first snake

Old 07-06-2021, 12:46 PM   #2
Rich Z
You are saying "they". How many of "them" do you have together in one cage?

Old 07-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
You are saying "they". How many of "them" do you have together in one cage?
People frequently use the pronoun 'they' when they don't know the gender. I think OP is just referring to a single snake.

As for the behavior, it sounds like it could be pre-shed shyness and reluctance to eat. Can you post a picture?

Old 07-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
clemclem
just one! sorry i don’t know their gender so ive gotten in the habit of saying they

Old 07-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #5
clemclem
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
People frequently use the pronoun 'they' when they don't know the gender. I think OP is just referring to a single snake.

As for the behavior, it sounds like it could be pre-shed shyness and reluctance to eat. Can you post a picture?
yeah! and okay that eases some worry if it may be because of shedding. do you mean a picture of the set up?

Old 07-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
No, a picture of the baby. Just to see if they're in the beginning stages of blue. But if you don't want to disturb them, that's fine. If the refusal to eat is due to shedding, you'll be able to tell in a few days anyway.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
clemclem
yes i didn’t want to disturb but they just shed today! it seems to have come off all in one as well!

Old 07-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
Perfect! It's always a good idea to check the tail tip and the eye caps to make sure they came off.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #9
clemclem
hi! belated response because i checked and thought the tip of the tail did come off but i was mistaken. they have a tiny tiny bit stuck still on the very end i just noticed, is there a best way to get it off or is it okay to wait for their next shed?

Old 07-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #10
hypnoctopus
Yeah, definitely help get that piece off. Moisten a paper towel or cloth and let the snake slither through it while you hold it. Apply gentle pressure to the tail tip and after a few times going through the wet towel, the shed should come off.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google