CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Cornsnake not eating

Old 12-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #1
pyroman6655
Cornsnake not eating

Hey guys,

I have a female baby cornsnake I got from the Morphmarket, and she just won’t eat, I contacted the seller and asked him what he did to feed her and he said to leave the thawed pinkie next to the hide, but she hasn’t eaten ever since, I’ve tried that multiple times. I am wondering whether I should use the deli cup method or another method? Cause I have also tried feeding her with tongs and she just slithers away. She also has shed once since I’ve had her and it was a full healthy shed. I just need some help getting her to eat because I have seen that she is beginning to get a tad bit skinnier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
How long have you had her? How often are you attempting to feed her? What is your setup like?

The first thing I would try is this: wait until evening and then put her in a deli cup. Leave her alone in it, in a quiet, dark place for like half an hour. At that point, heat up a pinkie using very hot water. You can even dunk it in a little boiling water. Drop it in with her, close the lid, and leave her alone again for an hour. At that point, check on her. If she hasn't eaten it, reheat it and leave it with her overnight. If she hasn't eaten by morning, throw it away and put her back in her enclosure. If that method doesn't work, let me know.

A couple of extra things to consider - don't attempt to feed any more often than every few days. If you try every day, it's just going to stress her out and make her less likely to eat. If you've been handling her recreationally, stop doing that until she's eating reliably for you. Her enclosure should make her feel completely secure and comfortable, so you need to make sure you have plenty of small, tight and dark hides and ground cover. Make sure your temps are correct (around 87 on the warm side and room temp on the cool side.)

Old 12-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
pyroman6655
I have had her for a few months, I don’t know exactly. I have been feeding her every other week. My setup is a 20 gallon long, with biodude setup equipment for a cornsnake, and a heat lamp for the day and one for the night as well on the hot side at night a heat mat underneath the tank, I have a humidifier to keep the humidity up as well cause it’s dry in my house. She has a water dish as well, and two hides on each side. I keep the temp on the hot side up at 80°F and the cool side at room temp which is 75-70°F. The tank is bioactive as well so the skin she sheds is eaten by springtails. But I will try the trick and see if it works. And I will also try and raise the temp up to 87°F as well. Thank you, I will give you feedback once I have done it.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #4
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroman6655 View Post
I have had her for a few months, I don’t know exactly. I have been feeding her every other week. My setup is a 20 gallon long, with biodude setup equipment for a cornsnake, and a heat lamp for the day and one for the night as well on the hot side at night a heat mat underneath the tank, I have a humidifier to keep the humidity up as well cause it’s dry in my house. She has a water dish as well, and two hides on each side. I keep the temp on the hot side up at 80°F and the cool side at room temp which is 75-70°F. The tank is bioactive as well so the skin she sheds is eaten by springtails. But I will try the trick and see if it works. And I will also try and raise the temp up to 87°F as well. Thank you, I will give you feedback once I have done it.

Every other week? You have her on a 14 day feeding schedule? Feeding one pinky mouse at a time?

Old 12-09-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
pyroman6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Every other week? You have her on a 14 day feeding schedule? Feeding one pinky mouse at a time?

It’s once every week.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google