CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

New to the snake world!

Old 08-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #11
Nyrkorey
Awesome, im definitely going to try and feed him outside the tank, it just seems like an all around positive thing to do. Now I know you can't handle them after they eat nut is it ok to just pick them up to put them back in the tank and leave them be? Or would that little interaction stress them out ?

Old 08-10-2021, 07:37 AM   #12
Nyrkorey
Also, this may seem like a dumb question but how can you tell when they are out of the pinky phase? Is that by length of the snake? Or how old they are? And then fuzzies come next after the pinkies. I'm sure I can find solid information about this online but ide figure i just ask also

Old 08-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
hypnoctopus
Yes, the small amount of handling required to move them to and from a container is perfectly fine. As for feeding, going by weight is the easiest and most accurate way to determine the correct feeder size. If you look up the "Munson plan", it's a pretty good guide on what size to feed at which weight. It's a bit on the aggressive side, so feel free to scale back the frequency it recommends and/or wait until your snake weighs a bit more than what is suggested for each size before moving them up. A digital kitchen gram scale is perfect for weighing them. If you don't have one or don't want to get one, you can eyeball the correct size. Properly sized prey will be between 1 to 1.5 times as wide as the widest part of the snake.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #14
Nyrkorey
This is all so helpful thank you so much!! One more question again! As for the heat mat that goes under the tank not inside.. when I hook my thermometer to it. Does the probe go inside the tank unleash everything to measure the heat or do I put that under the tank by the heat mat?

Old 08-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #15
Nyrkorey
Under the substrate to measure or under the tank ****

Old 08-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #16
nikkirnoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrkorey View Post
This is all so helpful thank you so much!! One more question again! As for the heat mat that goes under the tank not inside.. when I hook my thermometer to it. Does the probe go inside the tank unleash everything to measure the heat or do I put that under the tank by the heat mat?
I put them in the tank in the "air" on the warm and cool side. My tank measures 82 on 1 side and like 74 to 78 on the cool side.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Old 08-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #17
hypnoctopus
I put the probe inside the tank directly on the glass above the heat mat. Secure it with a bit of hot glue or silicone so it can't be moved. Make sure not to use any tape.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google