CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Strange genetics question???

Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
WiccanPrincesa
Strange genetics question???

I have a odd genetics question. I used to breed my corns and not really care what colors or morphs resulted from the mix. However, now I'm getting more into genetics being that different colors go for different prices. The weird question, and probably obvious one, is what is the difference between het and homo in genetics? And also, how can you tell if a snake is het a trait or homo a trait? Is there an easy way to tell or can you only tell through breeding? I currently have 6 different corns, two of which was too young to breed, so they have to wait about two more years. So I only have four to work with at this time.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
WiccanPrincesa
I will be posting pictures of the four older ones as soon as I get my camera hooked up to my fiancee's computer (he has the computer program that our camera needs to upload photos from the camera).

Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Saffleur
I'll help a bit here.

The weird question, and probably obvious one, is what is the difference between het and homo in genetics?

Het or Heterozygous means that an animal does not visually express a trait but has the genetic materials to produce other morphs.

Homo or Homozygous means that an animal does visually express the trait and in doing so does have the genetic materials to produce other morphs.

And also, how can you tell if a snake is het a trait or homo a trait?

There are not many genetic markers for heterozygous traits.

Homozygous depends on the morph. When you get into the Ultra and Ultramel morphs it's sometimes hard to tell them apart.

Is there an easy way to tell or can you only tell through breeding?

The best way to tell is through breeding.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
medusacoils
OK, I wasn't going to post on this, but I have a burning question.

Why are you breeding your snakes? Is it just to make more?

Wayne

Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
WiccanPrincesa
I am breeding them to get more, obviously, because I love my snakes and I don't mind having a large collection. I also plan on taking my extra babies to reptile swaps to trade for other colors (which I've done before, and it worked well). My snakes are all very very spoiled and well taken care of, and my female only breeds if she's at a good weight. Otherwise she waits until the following year. But I think as long as you know how to properly care for them and how to breed them correctly, there isn't a problem with it. I have the money if a problem were to arise to get my female to a vet (incase of egg binding and such). Eventually, once I have all the genetics down, I want to open up my own business breeding corns. They are such beautiful snakes, and I think more people should experience owning these wonderful animals. I generally only keep one of each color/morph when babies are produced. Once a while I'll hold on to two of the same color. They are just such amazing animals, and I can't get enough of them. =) If that answers your question. I have some genetic knowledge on them, however I'm always willing to learn more. I studied zoology for a year, and plan on going back into that as soon as I finish my business degree. I would love to open my own business in breeding corns someday, so that's my long term goal. I also take my corns to different reptile shows to show them off. I just love all my corns! =) (I think my fiancee thinks I'm crazy for wanting so many, but you only get what you can properly care for. Once it gets to be too much, you don't take on anymore. That's just the moral thing to do.) Some people get rid of their collection after breeding for a few years. I never see that happening. My corns are like my kids. I'd do anything for them to make sure they are well taken care of, and that they live a long healthy life.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
ZoologyGirl
A Quick genetics summary, if I don't screw it up.

There are 2 copes of each gene, one from the mother, one from the father.
*Most* morphs in corn snakes work by pairings of recessive genes.

The most common way genes are written out are using upper case and lower case letters. Where the capital letter stands for the dominant gene, and lower case stands for recessive. AA=homozygous dominant Aa=heterozygous aa=homozygous recessive

In *most* cases you need for the snake to be homozygous recessive (aa) in order for the morph to be expressed...because a dominant (A) gene present will null the recessive gene.

So if you look at the simple case of amel which is controlled by a single gene.
AA=normal Aa=normal aa=amel
So in most cases you will not be able to tell whether a snake is heterozygous for something (unless you know the parents genetics and can prove it). However, a homozygous amel animal will be, well, amel. An anery will be homo for anery...a lavender will be homo for lavender...a caramel will be homo for caramel...etc...

Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Caryl
There's a book called "Genetics for Herpers" by Charles Pritzel. The "Cornsnake Morph Guide" also has some good beginners genetics info. I know that both can be purchased from Kathy Love, and I'm sure you can find them other places as well.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiccanPrincesa View Post
I am breeding them to get more, obviously, because I love my snakes and I don't mind having a large collection. I also plan on taking my extra babies to reptile swaps to trade for other colors (which I've done before, and it worked well). My snakes are all very very spoiled and well taken care of, and my female only breeds if she's at a good weight. Otherwise she waits until the following year. But I think as long as you know how to properly care for them and how to breed them correctly, there isn't a problem with it. I have the money if a problem were to arise to get my female to a vet (incase of egg binding and such). Eventually, once I have all the genetics down, I want to open up my own business breeding corns. They are such beautiful snakes, and I think more people should experience owning these wonderful animals. I generally only keep one of each color/morph when babies are produced. Once a while I'll hold on to two of the same color. They are just such amazing animals, and I can't get enough of them. =) If that answers your question. I have some genetic knowledge on them, however I'm always willing to learn more. I studied zoology for a year, and plan on going back into that as soon as I finish my business degree. I would love to open my own business in breeding corns someday, so that's my long term goal. I also take my corns to different reptile shows to show them off. I just love all my corns! =) (I think my fiancee thinks I'm crazy for wanting so many, but you only get what you can properly care for. Once it gets to be too much, you don't take on anymore. That's just the moral thing to do.) Some people get rid of their collection after breeding for a few years. I never see that happening. My corns are like my kids. I'd do anything for them to make sure they are well taken care of, and that they live a long healthy life.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I was just asking because in your original post, you mentioned that you didn't care about the genetics and would just put them together and breed them. Generally, before I would consider undertaking any type of project, regarding the life and welfare of an animal, I would do my homework first. But, that just me!

I wish you nothing but the best of luck. Genetics can be a bit difficult to learn, but once you get the hang of it, you will do fine.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
WiccanPrincesa
No offense taken. =) Prior to attempting to learning the genetics, I did just breed them regardless of the results (morphs). I just took them to reptile swaps, and people would just trade with me. However, I probably got ripped off in many situations due to not knowing what I was trading. For all I know, I could have given away a really nice morph without even realizing. Which is why I want to learn the genetics, so I know what I'm dealing with. Plus if I want to open a business breeding corn snakes, I better know what I'm talking about. You know? Anyways, I have two books already on corn snakes and breeding, however I think they're pretty outdated. It doesn't have nearly as many color morphs in them as exist. I wish there was a good website that listed every color morph with the genetic combinations that are obtainable. So if anyone knows of any, please post them here. Thank you all for helping me figure this out. I really appreciate it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google