CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Picking a Lavender Baby

Old 11-04-2022, 10:35 AM   #11
ronlina
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
Given my Love/Hate relationship with the gene, I have been working for years on getting a kink-free line of Lavenders that are also robust eaters. I presently have Lavender Motleys Het for Amel from that project that have been kink-free for 7 years of breeding trials. I'm adding genes to the test colony but it's a slow process. If you are looking for the peachy/pink washed Lavenders then definitely get a male AND something with the Peach gene, either Het or Homo, would add a lot.
Looking at the parents is good advice as to what the hatchlings will look like as an adult.
Good Luck,
Terri

Thanks for this, Terry. I guess since I'm only looking for pet-keeping I'm not too concerned about kinks, but I also think it's important to have healthy snakes and am also glad you're working on that project. I suppose I'm not pining for the peach color (though am happy about it), but more wanted to avoid the very dark/anery looking examples I saw online for some lavenders. Though, honestly, they're all going to be such pretty snakes, I know. I'm so intrigued by the lavender genetics and what was discovered after producing scaleless lavenders. It's an incredibly interesting morph to me there, but also pretty.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #12
ronlina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Here's a pic of my male lavender motley. I haven't photographed the female yet, but she's not nearly as colorful as him.
What a pretty snake! And I even am happy with a washed-out coloring to be honest. I really admire what you all are doing with your lavender projects, though, because it seems to be a difficult gene to work with. Honestly, no matter what even the darker ones are pretty to me!

The motley really stands out in the lavenders it seems!

Old 11-05-2022, 10:59 AM   #13
SnakeSmithS
Just to second what has already been said, if you really want to make sure you end up with a "light-colored" lavender (i.e., a distinctly purple snake), your best bet based on my experience would be with combos that reduce melanin. I have 2 subadults, a hypo lavender and an ultramel lavender, that are both quite purple and have no "darker contrasting areas". Good luck with your search

Old 11-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #14
ronlina
Thanks! That does help. I'll check out my options and see where I get; there is one I'm considering that isn't listed as hypo or ultramel or any other genetics except lavender, but the parents are almost completely white with faded saddles in a way that looks really pretty to me. Both are just lavenders (motleys, though the one I'm looking at has non-motley pattern) according to the seemingly reputable breeder. They may have other genetics going on there in that line, if not just selectively bred, but it'd be interesting to see what happens with the baby if I get that one!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google