CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Eating problems...

Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
Okke
Unhappy Eating problems...

Hello ;-)

I bought some mising black corns about 5 months ago but they alway's (most of the times) have eating problems... When they eat living or dead mice they almost everytime puke their food up after a day of 5/6. Even though they still eat the mice every time without problems and even shed their skin almost every month without any problem. Also one of the snakes laid eggs without any problems. It seems to me when they have indigestion problems they also dont want to eat regulary and also having problems with shedding their skin and so on. But none of this is a problem because thats not the point. Although they dont take much food to make a big pile of crap (because they throw up there food after almost a week) Only they take a smile crap from time through time. But it doesnt look as it has to be :-( Does anyone know what kind of problem this snake's have? I kept many snakes for years ago but this thing did never happen before to me. So can anyone help me out?

Old 06-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
breedingcolors
Not sure I understand you perfectly.

Can you start by giving us the details: quantity you bought, what age they are, etc.

It is really serious when snakes regurge and they can die very quickly if they always regurge. You should read this thread. It contains the FAQ of Kathy Love about regurge.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20965

What is your setup? Temp, humidity, hides, etc.

Old 06-04-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Okke
Thanks for your quick reaction ;-)

I keep them the same way like I alway's did by normal temperature and they have enough hiding spots in the enclosure where I keep them. I keep them at normal living room temparature's but if they want they can heat themselves by the lamps. They can take a bath (under one of the lamps if they want)Other snakes did never had these problems altough I think when i bought them they just came out of there hybernation period as I was told. They must been arround 3 years old and they did had eggs last year as told. But you and I both know that people say things sometime but is that true also? For now I keep them in an enclosure with a heatingmat under it so I have to wait and see I guess, mayby its also an idea to use nutri-bac for feeding the snakes with it also through inject the mice with it before eating them? puke01:

Old 06-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
Okke
I almost forgot to mention I also keep snakes in the same enclosure who not have these regurge problems, but this threesome alway's seem to regurge even though they look very healthy and do not have other problems at all...

Old 06-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
breedingcolors
The better temp would be around 75 low temp and 85 hight temp. Normal temp don't help me very much since it depens where you live. I live in Canada and if I would put my snakes at room temperature, it would be too cold in winter and too hot in summer.

Yes nutribac inject in the mouse help but you really need to follow exactly the instructions as describe in the FAQ if you want to keep them for long.

You keep them in the same viv? How many are they?

Old 06-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
Joejr14
There's so much wrong I'm not even sure where to start.

For one, you need to seperate your snakes immediately.

Secondly, you're contradicting yourself. In your first post you said they're regurging their food, but shedding fine and look healthy. Then two sentences later you're saying that they're having problems with their sheds. Which is it?

If you bought these snakes still in brumation and then offered them a full sized meal without warming them back up, that might be the start of the problem.

Regardless, you simply cannot keep feeding them food and having them puke it back up. If you keep that up, you are going to wind up with dead snakes.

You MUST seperate the snakes, and then try feeding them something much smaller, like a fuzzy. Make sure the temps are in the low 80's and if they hold the fuzzy down, feed another one. If it holds that down, gradually start moving up to small mice. After two fuzzies, feed two hoppers, then a small mouse or something.

I cannot stress enough that if you don't do something about the regurging your snakes are going to die.

Old 06-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Okke
Flying Dutchmen ;-)

Hello again,

I live in Holland so we use an other temp scale as yours but it is not a problem with my other kept snake's I guess its arround the same as your temperaure as you keep them in... I just looked its around 75 /85 so thats not the problem they also can choose how they want it a cool spot or a hot spot so that would make no different. I just think they got some sort of bacterial problem but just as I said they shed good alway's, they want to eat (in three or four weeks so I don't over feed them like that) alway's and they even lay eggs... You see I am not a beginner in this hobby because I breed different kinds of reptiles in the past but this is new for me. I did bred bearded dragons early'er this year. I breed years back lots of corns with almost no egg losses at all. I bred Tilliqua Scincoides Gigas and Sand boa's So you see I am not a beginner at all....

Old 06-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
Okke
Joejr14 keep your eyes open and read better...

They do not have shedding problems so keep your comment to yourself ok... what kind of ass do you think I am I am not a beginner so don't begin talking crap like that ok!!!

Thank you ;-)

Old 06-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okke
Joejr14 keep your eyes open and read better...

They do not have shedding problems so keep your comment to yourself ok... what kind of ass do you think I am I am not a beginner so don't begin talking crap like that ok!!!

Thank you ;-)
Excuse me, sir, but my eyes are quite open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okee
When they eat living or dead mice they almost everytime puke their food up after a day of 5/6. ,b>Even though they still eat the mice every time without problems and even shed their skin almost every month without any problem.</b>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okee
It seems to me when they have indigestion problems they also dont want to eat regulary and <b>also having problems with shedding their skin and so on.</b>
So again, which is it?

Old 06-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
Okke
And I do not keep them together at this time with other snakes in the same enclosure anymore so dont think I am stupid....

Just to keep you updated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google