CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Morph Color question

Old 09-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
Newowner89
Morph Color question

Okay so this is probably a really dumb question. On website I see about a million different morphs for corn snakes and all of them are beautiful colors. When looking on places to buy them I see tons of snakes with lots of separate morph labels and even in the same categories the way they look varies drastically.

My real question though is when picking a baby snake how much do they change in color as they grow. Should I expect them to resemble their original colors when they are older or do they change dramatically. I assume they do change and I have seen babies that you can tell are going to be orange or brown etc. but this question mainly stems from seeing a ton of babies that are mostly white and pink. Are there really that many pink morphs or albinos in general or is this just a common baby color that quickly changes.

I just want to know what to expect as far as choosing a baby since I really want a color pattern I enjoy as this will be my first and potentially last for quite a long time.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Most morphs stay more or less the same, although colors generally intensify with age. There are a variety of pink and white morphs because once you start combining lots of genes that take away color, you end up with white. Iansvivarium.com is a good place to check out some morphs. Lots of the entries have both baby and adult pictures, so you can get a sense of what they might look like. There is, of course, some natural variation even in genetically identical individuals, and there are also line bred varieties of certain morphs that might look quite different than the standard. Let us know if you're thinking about a specific morph or if you're hoping for a specific color and we can give you some ideas of what might match your preferences best.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #3
Shiari
The colors can change quite dramatically. If you go through the photo section here for 'progression threads', you'll get to see some of that first hand. Some change less (the average snow, blizzards, etc), some change more (bloodreds, normals, kastanies, lavenders) some are in the middle (aneries, amels, charcoals, caramels, butters).

Old 09-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #4
Newowner89
Thanks so much for the replies and where to look I really appreciate it. I’m not super picky on colors and would love to own quite a few morphs. My main concern is one of the big reasons my family is thinking of finally getting a snake is my daughter has been asking for a snake for years. I have always wanted one but my wife has been skittish about them but has finally coming around. My daughter has been falling in love with all kinds of pink snakes that she has seen and I just don’t want to see her disappointed if after a few months they dramatically change color to something different. She really loves the reds and pinks so we are leaning in the direction

Old 09-24-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
SnakeCreations
Some breeders will show you pictures of the parents which will give you some idea of what your snake will look like as an adult. Depending upon the morph, they can drastically change.

Good luck!

-Tonya

Old 09-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
Properly labeled pink snows will gain more pink as they age. All snows hatch out with varying levels of pink, but regular snows might get a little pink, a little yellow, and lots of white. Coral snows, salmon snows, red factor snows will gain plenty of pink coloration. Unfortunately, some less informed breeders (and some unscrupulous ones) will label regular snows as something they are not, so look for ones that already have fairly saturated pink. And like Tonya said, seeing pictures of the parents can be helpful as well.

Carol has some really lovely pink snows. If you look at her pictures here: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147360 you can see how they have little spots of extra pink in the little dots down their back - that's a pretty good indication that they will be very pretty pink adults. If you look at this picture of a regular snow I hatched several years ago t's slightly pinkish like all snow babies, but ended up being a normal looking snow because it had no extra red enhancing genes.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:04 AM   #7
Rich Z
Ouch! Good luck with predicting how a baby corn snake is going to look, as far as color is concerned when it reaches adulthood. I had to keep a lot of babies every year just so I could see if they were heading in the right direction I was hoping for. Even knowing what the parents look like, it's still pretty much a crap shoot concerning variation among babies.

So I would suggest having a general idea in mind of what you want the color to be in what you get, but expect a large margin of variation and don't get your hopes up too high for something really specific. I often told people who wanted something very specific that they would need to go to a reptile show and hope to find exactly what they want in an adult by LOOKING at adults for sale and seeing it with their own two eyes while it was right in front of them. Even photographs can sometimes be misleading, as can be just the type of light the snakes are in. It is actually rare that a baby looks like the gem that they can potentially turn into.

When I used to do shows, I would use lights that were as close to the spectrum of sunlight as I could find, as that normally allowed the best colors of the animals to show through. The same animals under fluorescent or regular 2700K incandescent bulbs would look shabby in comparison. So even buying an animal in person, it might look completely different when you get it home and look at it under different lights.

Not as easy as it seemed, now is it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google