CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Adult in blue for over a week

Old 09-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
Z.rip
Adult in blue for over a week

Hello everyone. Awhile back we picked up an adult female corn snake that has been in a pet shop for a long time. She ended up being a very sweet snake and the whole family has gotten attached. She has been a great eater, very active, but about a week ago we noticed she wasn’t coming out of her cool side hide, I could see part of her body and it was very pale. I assumed she had passed and was pretty bummed, but when I lifted the hide she lifted her head quickly and saw she was in blue. I was relieved, I also have a eastern indigo and a ball Python so I’m not new to them going in blue. Left her alone, made sure the humidity was good and left her alone. Well the last time I saw her really active was her last feeding on the 16th. Almost two weeks ago. I installed cameras in all the enclosures and the last recording I have that she left her hide was the 21st.
So with it being the 28th I’m getting a little worried.
Is it normal for adults to stay in deep blue this long? Is it possible she brumating?

Thanks for any advice

Old 09-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
blacktip
The last time my 8 year old shed he stayed in his hide for just about two weeks. I wouldn't worry too much.

And congrats on the indigo. They are such awesome snakes.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:56 PM   #3
Z.rip
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktip View Post
The last time my 8 year old shed he stayed in his hide for just about two weeks. I wouldn't worry too much.

And congrats on the indigo. They are such awesome snakes.
Cool, thank you. Should I be concerned that she fed before she went in to blue and I haven’t noticed any poop though out her cage.

And thank you! Very excited to get him, he is still a baby but between him
And the my corn I have grown a soft spot for colubrids.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:07 AM   #4
blacktip
I wouldn't be worried about the lack of poop. You can expect that to happen right after shedding. Would love to see pics of the indigo.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:17 PM   #5
Z.rip
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktip View Post
I wouldn't be worried about the lack of poop. You can expect that to happen right after shedding. Would love to see pics of the indigo.

He is just a baby, less then a year old but super excited about him. Might look in to getting a female and try breeding but that will be far in the future.

So some news on the corn, a few days ago or so I checked on her and she was out of blue. Still not active but looked better.
Then today while away coaching my sons little league she had a perfect shed, and was out of her hide. I fed her and she took it fast so I think we are out of the woods on any issues. I don’t know if it’s a good reference but her skin was as long as I am tall, and is that’s a pretty accurate way of measuring then she must be around 5’10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-04-2021, 12:34 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
Glad to hear she has an appetite again! Their sheds stretch while they're inching out of their skin, so it's not a super accurate metric for determining length. If you want to try a much more accurate method, try uploading a photo of her to the serpwidgets.com snake measurer.

Also your indigo is awesome!

Old 10-04-2021, 01:18 AM   #7
Z.rip
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Glad to hear she has an appetite again! Their sheds stretch while they're inching out of their skin, so it's not a super accurate metric for determining length. If you want to try a much more accurate method, try uploading a photo of her to the serpwidgets.com snake measurer.

Also your indigo is awesome!
I just checked out that site, that’s super cool! Thanks for that!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google