CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Question about feeding.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
richie_irl
Question about feeding.

Tonight is the first time Ill be feeding my new corn and I have a question to ask.
Ive bought pinkies for it but what I need to know is whether I feed in its own cage or put it in a separate feeding container.

The breeder I bought it from said to feed it in its own cage(thats what he has done from the time it was born) as his opinion is that it couldnt possibly be "programmed" into thinking that your hand was food if its only being fed once a week or so when you probably put your hand in a few times a day ie to clean,change water, handle the snake etc.

Just want peoples views on this.And if you do feed in a separate place does this place need to be heated aswell?And how do you get the snake back into its own viv after feeding as I believe that it can still be in hunting mode or may regurgitate after being fed and then handled.
Thanks
Richie

Old 08-03-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
Sean22
i feed my baby corns in the containers that they came in
it works out great
but im a newbie on snakes so u should wait for other peoples responses

Old 08-03-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Flygning
There are soooo many posts about this, and it seems that everyone has a seperate opinion (and are ready to defend them to the death, it seems). There are many pros/cons to feeding seperately, and the breeder you talked to has a point. They may not get programmed to think your hand means food, but there are other reasons for feeding seperatly. If you have any bedding other than newspaper or paper towels, your snake could accidentally eat the substrate during feeding. That can lead to some health problems. If you don't want a seperate tank for feeding, put the snake and the mouse in a paper bag, put the bag (open) in the tank, and let it be. The snake will find his own way out, and he won't eat any of the bedding.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
Krenna
I used the deli cup my hatchling came in I put the pinkie in the cup and then the snake and closed the lid and put both in the viv, the next morning I take the deli lid off and let her leave on her own accord.

I feel with regular handling the snake knows when its feeding time, I have a schedule for my snake and her feedings. She has yet to attempt to bite me.

Thus as Flygning said there are billions of post on this subject I suggest you read them and figure out what is best for you and your snake.

Old 08-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
richie_irl
Well I think I read every post here regarding the subject but there seems to be an almost 50/50 split on the correct method.

But anyway I rang the breeder I got her from and asked how he did it.

Basically he told me that he used to handle her for a few minutes,put her back in her cage and then put the pinkie on a rock thats in her cage.

I was quite surprised as there was no striking,aggression or anyway of telling that she was in hunt mode.I just put the pinkie on the rock and left it there as he said and when I checked 30mins later she had eaten it.So I think Ill stick to what works.I dont want to suddenly upset her and for her to go off eating.
Again thanks for all the replys-Its handy having access to other herp owners as the community here is very small consisting of only about 4 or 5 shops which actually sell reptiles.And most of these are breeders so if youve a problem it can be awkard getting an answer.
Thanks
Richie.

Old 08-04-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
ormis
richie irl, do not feed your snake in its own cage..put him and the pinkie in another safe place. I have two good raesons why...
First, snakes do not have good sight it can only see x-ray so if you want to be able to bring out your snake from the cage in the future whithout the snake to attack you (thinking you ´re bringing him food) taech the snake that food is never given in his cage
The second reason is that there has been tragic accidents where snakes has choked on the ground material while eating.

I´m not an expert but I`ve been reading a lot of material lately and they all say the same thing

Good luck with you new snake

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google