CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding date, pre-lay shed? Eating still.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
bmm
Breeding date, pre-lay shed? Eating still.

Hello!

My female snow had her first sucsessful breeding on 03/18/03

Another successful mating on 03/24/03

Last night she shed which I am assuming is her pre-lay shed? But the day before the shed she accepted a mouse. Does this mean she is gravid and some still eat? Or does this mean she is not gravid? She is indeed quite fatter than normal in the lower half. So I am somewhat confused.

Thanks for any help.

bmm

Old 04-20-2003, 01:02 PM   #2
Susan
I've had many females that will eat just before their pre-lay shed, and even shortly after. My big ghost female had her pre-lay shed on the 16th. She ate on the 12th while blue, and is currently looking for another meal today! Unfortunately for her, I didn't think she would want one so didn't have a meal thawed for her. And is she Pissed! Guess I have to go back in the freezer or raid the rat tanks for a pup.

Old 04-20-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
bmm
O.k thanks!!! I will be setting up her nest box today.

bmm

Old 04-20-2003, 06:38 PM   #4
bmm
She has been in the box for hours now, but I know she must just be getting comfortable with the new addition to her cage. lol.

One more question....near the end, just how visible is it that they are gravid? Very easy to see? Or not so easy?

bmm

Old 04-20-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
Susan
Gravid females may vary a bit in appearance depending upon their normal size and weight as well as the size and number of eggs they are carrying. The female will usually look nice and healthy, leaning toward the plump range. This is mostly noticable in the rear half of the snake. Close to laying, you may be able to see the bulges created by the individual eggs, or at least feel them when your snake moves through your gentle grasp. Once the female has laid her clutch, you'll be extremely surprised to see how thin she really is now. Some females, especially younger and/or smaller ones, end up being down-right skinny and underweight. Don't panic at this sight! She'll fatten up again with good food and a little time.

Old 04-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
bmm
Your description fits her current state well. She is slightly larger than normal in the lower region, and sometimes when certain areas are coiled or bent I can see a slightly fatter area that looks like something. lol

She is large already, I think almost 50 inches now....over 45 for sure so I was wondering how I could tell. thank you!

bmm - with fingers crossed

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google