CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Problem with broken egg

Old 04-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #1
Susan
Problem with broken egg

I just had a clutch of eggs laid during the night...8 good eggs and 2-3 slugs. The problem is that at least 2 of the slugs broke open either during laying or shortly after and many of the good eggs have some of the egg yolk from those slugs stuck to them. I've gently wiped as much off as possible, but am afraid to do much more.

Is this going to cause any problems during incubation? Any safe methods to try to clean the rest of the yolk off the eggs? I'm watching the female closely to make sure there isn't a problem with her in case the slugs broke while still inside her. She's eaten the small meal I offered her half an hour ago and is currently soaking in her water dish.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!

Old 04-20-2003, 04:12 PM   #2
drizzt_19
Re: eggs

Quote:
Originally posted by stephen
cleaning them with anything but water will kill them and it will do more harm then good .
Stephen,
This is not true...If you have the cornsnake manual it says that you may use listerene or even anti- fungal powder such as clotrimazole (Lotrimine) for athletes foot to stop harmful bacteria from spreading to the good eggs...PG. 53

Susan,
If you have cleaned the egg yolk from the bad eggs off of the good eggs, I don't think you will have anything go wrong...Here is a quote from Kathy's Book "Good Eggs Don't Go Bad"...Then again there is Murphy's Law...If you have not done so already, why not clean the good eggs that were affected by using a Q-tip moistened with Listerene...This should help stop/prevent the spread of harmful bacteria...Keep a check on them...I think the eggs will be fine...IMHO

HTH,

Drizzt

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google