CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

hatching problem!!

Old 07-02-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
mariska
hatching problem!!

hey all,
i have a problem
my first clutch of this year was due 30 june and nothing happened so i pipped 2 eggs today en both hatchlings are dead...so i pipped more(7) and they all seem to be dead.or at least not moving
now ya all have to know that this clutch is from a normal coloured woman who laid 27 eggs and got bound with the remaining 2, 11 eggs of the total 29 were infertile and the snake died due to being bound ...
could it possibly be that the snake just wasnt capable off laying good eggs/an producing good young anymore (ow she was only 8 years)
and what should i do with the remaining eggs...pip them also...or just leave them till the pass 90 days or so??

mariska

Old 07-02-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
CAcornguy
AHHHHHHH!

Well, if the eggs looked good when you pipped them, I would say that you have killed a total of 9 eggs! Too bad too. It is only July 2nd!!! You are only over the due date by 2 days! I guess you were just excited, but why did you cut so many of them open. I am assumming they were pretty developed. They would have pipped on their own. If you have any good ones left, leave them alone. So sad that you cut open so many of them! When you cut them open, the snakes do not neccesarily "move around" inside the egg. They were probably days away, and now they won't make it. Well, I hope you learn not to do it again. I almost lost one of my first babies this year due to anxiousness, but I would rather have some babies than none. -Don

Old 07-02-2003, 06:01 PM   #3
pinatamonkey
(dead as in not moving, or dead as in half-developed?)
Just leave them be. If you just pipped them, but left them alone otherwise, they can still finish developing and hatch normally. If you tossed them, well, you probably killed your snakes. Hatch date, AFAIK, cannot be predicted exactly. 2 days off is nothing...and there's the chance your thermometer was off slightly, making the prediction even more inaccurate.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
Darin Chappell
Pipping the eggs, though something I do not do, will not kill the hatchlings inside (unless you do damage to the snake in the process). I know others pip their eggs after a certain period of time and have great success at it.

However, I am of the opinion that any snake that cannot extricate itself from its own shell is not likely to be a thriving contribution to the world of cornsnakes anyway. So, I never pip an egg. That's just my opinion, and I know that I may have lost a hatchling here or there because of my stance. However, it has been my limited experience that those hatchlings I have to "help along" are those that never seem to thrive, well on into adulthood.

Everyone will have to make that determination on his or her own. Regardless, it does not mean definite death to pip the eggs of any clutch, but I certainly would have waited a while (a couple of weeks, even) if you were only pipping them out of a sense of them taking too long to hatch.

Good luck with the rest of your clutch!

Old 07-02-2003, 10:44 PM   #5
Jason B.
egg inpaction

about the mom. I had a female inpacted i asked for help in a forum. Marcel Poots replied with a great sulution that worked for me. if you send him an email or post a request, he could probably send you the pic he posted for me that included instuctions on how to deal with this problem.basicly you extract the contents of the egg through a needle , this colapses the egg and the mom can then pass it. it worked great for me and my corn mom is doing great. thanks agian Marcel if you happen to read this. *griffindor*

Old 07-03-2003, 07:39 AM   #6
mariska
Re: AHHHHHHH!

[quote]Originally posted by CAcornguy
[b]Well, if the eggs looked good when you pipped them, I would say that you have killed a total of 9 eggs

weel the eggs didnt look good...the female had a total of 29 eggs this year, and there were a lot of windows in the eggs...so i was worried...thats why i opened op the bad lokking eggs...the hatchlings are very little....so i think they died even before i opened up the eggs
to bad...i didnt touch the good looking eggs and am hoping they will be alright
mariska

Old 07-03-2003, 07:45 AM   #7
mariska
Quote:
Originally posted by pinatamonkey
(dead as in not moving, or dead as in half-developed?)
Just leave them be. If you just pipped them, but left them alone otherwise, they can still finish developing and hatch normally. If you tossed them, well, you probably killed your snakes. Hatch date, AFAIK, cannot be predicted exactly. 2 days off is nothing...and there's the chance your thermometer was off slightly, making the prediction even more inaccurate.
dead in half developped and already dead in the egg...the temps were right all along.. i have a digital thermometer which is very accurate
but thanks for the reply...any help in finding out what happened in more then welcome...
mariska

Old 07-03-2003, 07:50 AM   #8
mariska
Re: egg inpaction

Quote:
Originally posted by griffindor
about the mom. I had a female inpacted i asked for help in a forum. Marcel Poots replied with a great sulution that worked for me. if you send him an email or post a request, he could probably send you the pic he posted for me that included instuctions on how to deal with this problem.basicly you extract the contents of the egg through a needle , this colapses the egg and the mom can then pass it. it worked great for me and my corn mom is doing great. thanks agian Marcel if you happen to read this. *griffindor*
yes i know which article you mean...Kathy Love`s method right..
i happen to know marcel in person and he was the first person to talk to when i started to get worried...
the egg for the cloaca was a hard egg(stone egg) so nothing could be extracted out of the egg...
i went to the vet for calcium and vitamine shot...and an oxytoxine shot...but it didnt help anymore...she was dead in 4 days after she laid her last egg herself(the 27th egg)
which is very quick imo

mariska

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google