CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

A question about GSE and comment about health problems.

Old 10-05-2003, 02:53 PM   #1
fsqwert
A question about GSE and comment about health problems.

I was just reading about grapefruit seed extract in this forum...and I noticed that somebody said that it could be used as a prophylactic. I think that would be great if thats true. I was just looking for some advice about that, because I bought some and I was intending to use it that way. I just wanted to check with some of you guys who might have more expertise than me with regards to this stuff.
I haven't had any real problems with my snake yet. I attribute this to ALWAYS taking the PROACTIVE approach. I do believe in preventitive measures. (Yes, Im the guy who would put a flea collar on my dog JUST to prevent him from getting fleas)
I have noticed that there are certain people here (not you, Rachel) who sure don't seem to be very proactive with their pets health. To make an analogy...these are the types who would say something like..."About two weeks ago...I was in the woods, and I was attacked by a raccoon. Just recently, I have noticed that I have extreme sensitivity to light, and I seem to be foaming at the mouth. Do you think I should get a rabies shot? " ROTFLMAO.
To these people you want to respond by saying...."Dear Moron,....."
LOL
I realize you cant anticipate every problem...but some of them are pretty obvious.

Anyway, any help any of the experts could provide regarding using GSE as a prophylactic would be very helpful. I was just thinking that this might be a good thing, because just like if you step on a rusty nail and you go to the doctor....the doctor DOESN'T WAIT for you to DEVELOP tetanus before giving you the shot, thats all....prophylaxis is very common in modern medicine

Old 10-07-2003, 03:04 AM   #2
Rachel
Well, I guess I'm not very qualified to answer as I don't use GSE as a preventative measure. After reading your post, I searched for other posts and have decided that this would be a good idea (I also use flea drops on my dog BEFORE it gets fleas, same as I get all my jabs before I get tetanus, rabies etc etc!). So, after searching the web, reading my uni books and asking my vet I have come up with...well not much! All I found out that was kinda relevant is that farmers use GSE in animal feeds to PREVENT types of fungal and bacterial growth on the food and intestinally. It is also used to treat water in areas where water would be undrinkable. So I think I might go to one of those herbalist stores and ask them if they know anything else. Like you, I would rather prevent something occuring than have to deal with it once its there.

HTH a little

Old 10-07-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
fsqwert
Thanks Rachel for the info and advice. I might try GSE only at the first sign of any problem. I don't wanna make things worse for him, either. (Sometimes the treatment is almost as bad as the disease in some cases)

Jeff

Old 10-07-2003, 10:17 PM   #4
13mur 6
GSE in trace (about 1-3 drops a gallon, depending on the manufacturer of the GSE) quantities will prevent bacterial build-up in the water you give your snake. I don't think it's too good to use it very often though. Although it says it won't touch the good intestinal bacteria, it is sort of acidic, and it may actually weaken your snake to bacteria since it'll get used to having bacteria free water.

It's good for snakes with already weakened immune systems though, i.e. baby snakes, or already sick ones.

-Lemur 6

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google