CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New Member! Looking for opinions and connections! -Peaches

Old 10-02-2014, 02:33 AM   #1
peaches987
Thumbs up New Member! Looking for opinions and connections! -Peaches

Hallo! Excited to learn, discuss, read, and connect with other snake lovers! Also hoping to get tips, and share some funny stories about my snake to get some feedback. Comments & friends welcome! Want to find out if my corn is like others, and more about their behavior in general. Also, the lady I got my snake from said mine a red rat snake cause she was a little "off" in looks for a corn...but in my books she looks like a regular corn to me... Thoughts? (Pics included.)

A bit about me: University student. 24 years old, female. Animal lover. Fascinated and never scared of reptiles, but didn't realize how lovable they could be until about a year ago. Other hobbies = singing and dancing, cooking and baking, video games, snowboarding, learning about foreign cultures and languages, fashion, and watching youtube. I wish everyone saw how cute and silly snakes are. I try to enlighten my friends...or anyone who finds out I have a snake. Every person counts! For the well-being of snakes and educating people!

My snake: Only one snake, also my first. A regular corn, ~2 years old. Had her for about 4 months, got her as a rescue from a local lady with a kind heart for taking in unwanted/unlucky reptiles and birds (she and the couple other rescuers I talked to were awesome). I wanted to rescue, and wanted an adult so I wouldn't have to go through feeding and cage size adjustments. Her name is Katsu (short for Tonkatsu...which is 'fried pork' in Japanese). I think she is a she, never had her probed or popped. I don't feel qualified to do so but, info I have read about tail length and size, I assumed a girl. Whatever he/she is, Katsu is my Katsu, and I love her. She is super mild tempered, derpy, and so easy to look after. I have been told I spoil her...ok sure? I bought a bunch of books and made sure I had her area and needs met before I got here, so feel quite comfortable with the set up. I just want her to be happy and have a healthful life! No troubles feeding. Sheds fine. ^-^ Also lucky her, orange is my favorite color! Her nicknames include, "little face", "baby girl", and "little ham" and "Fatsu"...cause she might be a lil' chubby. :P

Pictures! Got a couple good pics of her adjusting her jaw or swallowing her mouse, resulting in the "smile" shots.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
KaylaEliuk
Welcome! The people on this forum are really nice. Even though you've had her a long while, it never hurts to read the caresheets and other stickies on the site anyways, as one can never have enough knowledge!
She is very pretty, and I love the name!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Nanci
She's adorable! I love the pic of her under her blankie. "Red ratsnake" is another name for cornsnakes, Pantherophis gutattus.

If you take a photo of the underside of her (straight) tail, from just above her vent, down, we can guess at her sex.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Tavia
Hello and welcome! Great looking snake, I like her name!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
peaches987
Thank for the comments everyone! She really is a cutie. I will read more here and there when I have time. Love to know more about them and the why's behind the suggestions, thanks Kayla! Nanci, I will do that. In a few days I'll take some tail and bum pics, and put them up in a new post for ppl to guess. I'm not experienced enough to have an eye for such things. And red rat and corn is same thing then? I have heard people say same and different, was a lil confused. Glad everyone likes her my lil Katsu.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #6
smigon
She is beautiful! "Guess the sex" is a game we play, some are better than others but it is always a learning experience! And biggest kudos to you for rescuing, I do it too, there are so many unwanted/unloved/"unlucky" (I like your term) animals that need forever homes.

I like her name too. I have a friend who named their pot belly pig "Mooshu"!

Old 10-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Phruit Dish
I love her name, her nicknames, and that you called her "derpy." LOL! She's darling...love the pics.

Welcome! You'll meet lots of wonderful people here. If you enjoy corn snake antics, there are some really amusing reads in the behavior section about the funny things people have caught their snakes doing. There are serious inquiries there too, but I remember finding some really, really funny threads that made me laugh until I cried.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
behavior, introduction, morph, newbie, normal