• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cornsnakes and their water

DinoNeill

Must learn Parseltongue!
Why is it that my corn rarely drinks directly from her water dish but loves to drink the thin film of moisture on the side of the dish after I just refill it, or the humidity drops inside her shed house, or from wet paper towel?...Is she afraid of drowing or something?

mine do that sometimes as well as my kings i put it off as being normal for snakes to get a drink when it rains so i took it one further and made it rain first by filling the water dish with water from a height so it splashs as soon as i did this heads start poking out first they drink from the glass and my larger guy heads right over to the dish for a drink so now i always fill my bays dishs this way entices them to drink.

They're probably "guzzling" when you're not looking :grin01:
Something that I started doing recently, after a feed, I gently remove them from their feeding container and "steer" their head towards the water bowl. 9 out of 10, they suck the water down like there's no tomorrow! It's cool to see those "cheeks" expanding and contracting! :wavey:

I was also wondering about the same thing every time I mist his cage he licks the drops off the glass and off his fake leaves. I figure that it's just an instinct because pools of fresh water are not always readily available and condensation or rain drops are a great alternative. I also put my corn's head next to the water bowl after a feed, and every now and then, he will drink a whole lot of water. And I definitely agree I love to see his cheeks balloon in and out while he drinks. I guess it's the same kind of fascination as watching him eat. :)

hmm i'll have to try getting them to drink after feeding them my adults do it on their on but the hatchlings tend to go back to hiding always worried they dont drink enough.

mbdorfer said:
Something that I started doing recently, after a feed, I gently remove them from their feeding container and "steer" their head towards the water bowl. 9 out of 10, they suck the water down like there's no tomorrow! It's cool to see those "cheeks" expanding and contracting! :wavey:

Yea I do the samething, after letting them chill in their eating box for a while, I go to put them in the viv but let him get a big drink in his water bowl first then he goes to his fav. hide. I'm never touching the part where the mouse is though.

I started pouring water in from a slight distance to get a splashy effect too :) . Next to stretching their mouth, drinking is my second favourite thing to watch them do.

Yea I do the samething, after letting them chill in their eating box for a while, I go to put them in the viv but let him get a big drink in his water bowl first then he goes to his fav. hide. I'm never touching the part where the mouse is though.

How should I go about putting my corn back in his cage after a feeding? I'm afraid I'll make him regurgitate. I have just been feeding him by dangling the mouse by tongs which I think for the most part eliminates the risk of impaction because he doesn't have to pick it up off the ground. I want to start feeding him in a seperate container so he knows when it's feeding time and so there is absolutely no risk of impaction but I wanted to get some advice on how to handle him when putting him back in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is a proven full-proof technique; Use a shoe box that you don't need because you'll be using for every time it eats. Place it in their with the mouse and If doesnt go for it wit you rite there jsut close the lid for a while but always watch incase they go thru a little hole in the box (the shoe box I use has a little hole) Let it do its business and when you see thats its finished pick the lid up but just let it chill in their till it wants to slither out and then pick it up with both hands on each side of it (so it would be the head part and the tail part) Where the mouse will be is between your hands not touching anything. and then just lay it in the viv towards its fav. hide or wherever.
Hope Its Helps. Oh yea you dont want to handle him/her for atleast 24 hrs. If your worried about regur. just wait till the bump is gone totally.

As for putting them back in there cage . . .
I do it a few different ways. My smallest is still eating in his deli cup. When he's done I set the cup in the cage and let him crawl out when he wants to. With the others I eather tip the box and let them crawl out (almost always) or I pick them up avoiding the bulge (occasionally). Your corn shouldn't regurge from just being picked up after eating. What you shouldn't do is handle it. If it was me I wouldn't feed in the viv even if tongs are used because there's always the risk of an impaction and I'm not going to risk it. Good luck :cheers: .

mbdorfer said:

Your right, i saw mine guzzling for the first time the other day, she looked as though she had never seen water before

isobel

Mine never bathes, but he always dunks his whole head when he drinks. He'll gulp water for a bit, come up for air and look around, then go again.

yeha ive seen mine drink a few times, usually when im quiet going into my room. its defintaly cool watching their cheeks moves when they drink.

My yellow ratsnake sometimes drinks by moving her lower jaw up and down in the water, forcing water into her mouth. At first I thought it might be a sign of a problem with her mouth or throat but I've heared some snakes just do that sometimes and it is so funny to watch!

whenever i go to put my snakes back in their viv they always hover over their water dish for a while then guzzle for ages... i have to refill their water everyday because its always almost empty :)

they both use the same dish so its 2 mouths to full... but their dish is quite big... i can only see it as a healthy thing :) they always have perfect sheds

Back