• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Poisonous bites

Abcat1993

Just a garter snake
How many people have been bitten by something poisonous?:shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs: :shrugs:
Sorry for saying this so many times but to start I almost was by a timber.

In that case, I have been bitten by a Western Hognose (which are rear-fanged and slightly venomous), but I avoided being envenomated.

never been bitten by a hot
but
i've been stung by some fairly hot scorpions (Centruroides exilicauda - Az. Bark Scorpion to name one) in my time

Got tagged once years ago. Will never have that happen again. The hospital bill took me 18 months to pay off.

I've been bitten multiple times by my tri-color hoggie- also rear-fanged and venomous, but instantly removed him. But I'd recently seen the Western Hoggy envenomation page when he started biting, which subconsciously caused me to get frightened of Zee. I'm mostly over that now, but I have to handle him a lot to stay not afraid of him.

Nanci

Never a venomous snake, but when i was younger i was bitten by those big nasty red millipedes. They are venomous but only enough to make you hurt for a few hours.

I've been stung by ground bees. None of the western hoggies have gotten me yet though.

~Katie

Eastern Diamondback (3)...

for me. Hurt like Hades.
I may be mistaken. My understanding of the hognose, at least here in the East, is they are rear-fanged w/o venom glands. Fangs used to pop toads. The saliva is where the venom lies. A counteragent to toad venom.
?????????

Northern Copperhead, when I was a child.
I was poking it with a stick
Bugs Bunny said:
What a maroooon!

It was not an envenomated bite, but both scared me and sparked my interest in serpents :cool:

Cflaguy said:
My understanding of the hognose, at least here in the East, is they are rear-fanged w/o venom glands. Fangs used to pop toads. The saliva is where the venom lies. A counteragent to toad venom.
?????????
Nope. They do have venom glands. Actually, a lot of colubrids have venom glands, but no delivery system.
The Eastern Hog's venom is much weaker than the Western though.

I almost got bit by a poisonous snake once... Was climbing out of a ditch with a copperhead in the tongs and slipped on some pine straw... My face landed one foot from the copperhead... I sure was glad he was looking the other direction lol...

And yes, I know I said poisonous... Venom is a poison so anything that is venomous is also poisonous... Some of you need to get over yourselves and just answer the questions instead of trying to make yourselves look so smart... I loved it every time my zoology professor last semester referred to snakes as being poisonous in one sentence and venomous in the next... He would use the terms interchangeably... Many books do the same... He has 43 years experience as a professor at the university and no telling the experience of those who write the books... But I guess we all know more than they do, don't we???

I *almost* got tagged by a copperhead, too.

I was hiking through the woods heading to a backcountry cliff for a day of First Ascents(rock climbing), and as I stepped with my right foot up onto a small embankment, a copperhead shot out towards my left shin, but wasn't quite big enough to reach me with his strike.

I also pulled up onto the top of a boulder once here in the desert, and as my eyes came up over the top, I was greeted by beady eyes, and a violent rattle. I couldn't tell you what kind of rattlesnake it was or even if he actually took a strike at me. I let go of the rock and took the 15' fall with no reservations about it. I did NOT want a bite on my face from that guy, MUCH more than I didn't want to fall 15'...

tyflier said:
I *almost* got tagged by a copperhead, too.

I was hiking through the woods heading to a backcountry cliff for a day of First Ascents(rock climbing), and as I stepped with my right foot up onto a small embankment, a copperhead shot out towards my left shin, but wasn't quite big enough to reach me with his strike.

I also pulled up onto the top of a boulder once here in the desert, and as my eyes came up over the top, I was greeted by beady eyes, and a violent rattle. I couldn't tell you what kind of rattlesnake it was or even if he actually took a strike at me. I let go of the rock and took the 15' fall with no reservations about it. I did NOT want a bite on my face from that guy, MUCH more than I didn't want to fall 15'...
Did you say "This is gonna hurt" as you were falling... I think I would have done the same thing... LOL... I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to get tagged in the face... OUCH!

Back