• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

People I need your advice

Kokopelli

Resident Boa Fanatic
Hey there people,

I am seriously considering to invest a hefty amount of money on a pair or a single snake as my birthday draws closer(it's still a fair deal off but I want to save about 800-900$ up)

Naturally the prices of snakes here in Israel is very very different than in the US/Europe.

My main dillema is between the following:
1- Brazil Rainbow Boa
2- Green Tree Python
3- Irian Jaya Python

Other suggestions will be appreciated though I apologize in advance for dismissing some of the options that will be suggested due to the limited availability here in Israel.

I am looking for snakes whose temperament is fair, some snakes (like Amazon Tree Boas) I would be willing to endure because I really want one... (but there aren't any in Israel at current)

Shouldn't be bigger than 6-7 feet.

Already got:het snow corn, amel het anery corn, king california het albino, leucistic ratsnake, ball python, durango mt. kingsnake, mega banded mexicana kingsnake.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hey there people,

I am seriously considering to invest a hefty amount of money on a pair or a single snake as my birthday draws closer(it's still a fair deal off but I want to save about 800-900$ up)

Naturally the prices of snakes here in Israel is very very different than in the US/Europe.

My main dillema is between the following:
1- Brazil Rainbow Boa
2- Green Tree Python
3- Irian Jaya Python

Other suggestions will be appreciated though I apologize in advance for dismissing some of the options that will be suggested due to the limited availability here in Israel.

I am looking for snakes whose temperament is fair, some snakes (like Amazon Tree Boas) I would be willing to endure because I really want one... (but there aren't any in Israel at current)

Shouldn't be bigger than 6-7 feet.

Already got:het snow corn, amel het anery corn, king california het albino, leucistic ratsnake, ball python, durango mt. kingsnake, mega banded mexicana kingsnake.

Thanks in advance! :)

I guess I'm in the dark because I've never heard of a Brazil Rainbow Boa Corn of a Green Tree Python Corn or even an Irian Jaya Python Corn, are these some new corn morphs???

I guess I'm in the dark because I've never heard of a Brazil Rainbow Boa Corn of a Green Tree Python Corn or even an Irian Jaya Python Corn, are these some new corn morphs???

You don't have to put it in his face that he put it in the wrong category. He was asking a question and not for people being rude. But that's just my opinion.
---
Now, you put this in the wrong category, you can ask a mod to move it.
Personally I would choose the Irian Jaya, they are just awesome and don't get huge like some carpet pythons. Def. get one, if not now in the future. Good luck!

The way i took it was that corn snakes are the best, so that's what should be bought....so it was funny....maybe I'm clueless though!

Hmm i wouldnt get a Irian Jaya Python as these have very bad temperaments and should be only kept by people with allot of experience.

Hmm i wouldnt get a Irian Jaya Python as these have very bad temperaments and should be only kept by people with allot of experience.

I have handled a lot of them, it's not common for them to be aggressive.
On the other hand I do own a texas ratnsnake which is quite infamous for being aggressive- and mine is extremely docile, it's all a matter of proper handling. Carpets are not known for aggression from what I know and the snakes I dealt with at any rate.

And Susang that was so redundant and uncalled for... nor mildly amusing for that matter. Yet again you prove that you simply like jumping on people's toes.
I am not impressed. Even addressing your remark gives it undue respect.

At any rate thank you to whoever did choose to answer.

BRB's are some of my favorite Boas in terms of looks, temperament, etc. Their humidity can be troublesome at times, but not nearly as much of a headache as an ATB.

I'm very fond of them and that's where I'd put my vote. (Make sure you give him lots of TLC. Getting tagged by an adult BRB is something I'd have preferred to do without in my life-time.)

I see, well yeah I like them a lot...
Just an issue of actually getting hold of a couple of probed babies...

But I think it's worth it.

Thank you all :)

with $800 you could start a great breeding plan, rather then just one snake, you could probably get about 20 breeding pairs of royals, or corns, or kings, or even milks,

wouldn't you rather have the enjoyment of watching the little eggs hatch and then the baby's grow?

if you really wana get one from your list though, id go for the green tree python, they are afterall, amazing.

Its just that i know of a few people who have had them or still got them and most of them said they would not get another because they take allot of work. They are nice yes but can very easy become agressive out of nowhere. But then again so can BP's.

with $800 you could start a great breeding plan, rather then just one snake, you could probably get about 20 breeding pairs of royals, or corns, or kings, or even milks,

wouldn't you rather have the enjoyment of watching the little eggs hatch and then the baby's grow?

if you really wana get one from your list though, id go for the green tree python, they are afterall, amazing.

Well yes, but I already have a male and female L.mexicana
two cornsnakes (male and female, classic het snow and amel het anery A)
King California that once he/she are probed I will bring in another mate.

Also I did not say I wasn't considering it. But seeing as my corns are still babies and young, I still have time before I will think about bringing in yet more cornsnakes. And in Israel there aren't -that- many people who would buy all kinds of snakes. I will end up having more snakes than I can afford to keep and I really don't want to hand out animals due to it being a last resort for me, the snakes deserve better.

GTP's I won't be breeding, it's a major hassle and for the rates they go for here... it's insane, no one will be interested in buying any babies so breeding is not a real option.
Rainbow boas... well, they are a tad more practical on that aspect, but not insanely so.

The thing is I want to spoil myself a bit, and also- I do not like buying adult specimens. I have done so only once with the Megabanded king I own and you can tell the difference. Spooked easily, abhors being handled etc...

Ball pythons... well, there aren't any cool morphs here. There are like... 3-4 albino ball pythons here, no pastels, and the prices are insane, around 1000$(if not more, God knows)

Keep the suggestions flowing :dancer:

He also said he's in Israel where prices are different, so I've no idea what he could really get for the money.

Given that, though, I'd suggest you decide between what you think YOU want to have the most, or whether you want to take advantage of the lack of availability and set up yourself as a supplier. IF there's a strong demand, even for 'common' cornsnakes (like amels and snows), you might go in that direction and use the cash inflow to expand into other niches.

My main advice is going to be pretty obvious.. read up as much as you can on each separate species and really truly decide which feels like the best fit. It would be best if you could actaully handle each of the species, but it seems as though that won't be possible due to your location.

I mentioned to Tom Thompson, a friend on this forum, that I really want a Boa, but a smaller, perhaps dwarf species. Tom recomened a Rainbow Boa. I have not yet started up reasearching these yet, because I'm mainly focused on corns right now, but I just wanted to share with you what an experienced boid keeper recomended to me.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing, as I already have around 5 species myself and have investigated the other species in length ( I translate articles for the Israeli website I help managing ) I drew to the conclusion that the Rainbow boas are an excellent choice, as long as one makes sure to handle them every now and then.

The humidity is not very easy to maintain, around 70% from what I read. But it is possible.

I don't mind the extra work, I find it gratifying and fun on the whole.

Eventually I will end up choosing whatever is available, as importing snakes is insanely expansive here.

Thanks though :)

You don't have to put it in his face that he put it in the wrong category. He was asking a question and not for people being rude. But that's just my opinion.
---
Now, you put this in the wrong category, you can ask a mod to move it.
Personally I would choose the Irian Jaya, they are just awesome and don't get huge like some carpet pythons. Def. get one, if not now in the future. Good luck!

Well good for you. While I want other snakes besides corns, corns would be my first choice, so I made a joke, I'm sure Kokpeli understands a joke.

At first I have to admit it didn't strike me as a joke but I can accept the fact that it came out the wrong way or I simply don't understand the same humor.
No hard feelings, please let's move on because I don't think there's a good reason to dwell on it.

Sorry for my remark about your comment Susang, I misunderstood.

At any rate I decided to go with GTP

Thank you all for giving me your advices, they were all seriously considered and carefully read.

Thank you so much for your willingness to help!

This forum rules. :dancer:

Back