• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Small Creatures Are Cute For a Reason...

Susan

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
...It tends to help keep their parents from killing and eating them, especially when it comes to humans. Most other creatures can identify between healthy and defective offspring and won't hesitate in making sure that the defective one doesn't survive. Add the higher brain functions of humans into the mix and things get a little more complicated. The children are still cute, but the parents also have the knowledge that they are only children and that with a little time, their intelligence will make itself know. We will often "overlook", at least temporarily, certain behaviors that "lower" life forms simply would not tolerate. These "lower" creatures would just take one quick and powerful bite and then not only enjoy the pleasurable lack of the annoyance, but a nice snack as well.

Hubby had the misguided idea to build a tree house for our two offspring. He started it last year, having the base and the first floor put in (ladder included) as well as the double swing addition. No sides had been put up and the children seemed to be perfectly capable of staying away from the edges and the 5 foot drop associated with them. Last week, hubby started to add the sides (2 are up at this point) and even hoped to be able to start on the second floor soon. Excited to have it more like an actual building, in association with the cooler weather, the children have been playing more out there and actually asked to put some "furniture" in it. Hubby allowed them to use 2 of the smaller folding lawn chairs and I brought home from work a very large styrofoam cooler and the box it was shipped in (I had been saving that for over 6 months as I simply couldn't throw it out).

Just this afternoon, hubby reminded them to keep the chairs away from the edge. That was enough. At about 5 PM, both of my children came in from outside and sat down on the sofa while I continued to fold laundry. I looked at my daughter after a few minutes and she seemed a little frazzled, so I asked her if she felt good. My son immediately chimed in for her to keep her mouth shut. Every parent knows what that means... I came out with the inevitable parental accusatory response of "What happened this time?" Charlie replied with "Jennifer fell out of the tree house but didn't want me to tell you." "No, you were going to say that I fell out on purpose!" "Jennifer, are you okay?" "My back and my head hurts." "You fell out of the tree house, you hurt, and yet you came back in, sat down and didn't say anything to me?" "I didn't want Charlie to say I did it on purpose." "Why on Earth would I think you did it on purpose?" (At this point, I have her in the kitchen and am shining a light in her eyes to check her pupil response.) "What happened that made you fall off the edge? And in the future, when your brother wants to come and tell me you're hurt, don't stop him!" (Yes, at this point, I'm not only concerned, but getting a bit angry, figuring they were rough-housing again.) "After I fell, Charlie started throwing sticks at me." "CHARLIE!!!" (Pitter patter of little boy feet as I have moved into Jennifer's bedroom.) "Did you throw sticks at your sister after she fell?" "But she was poking me with a stick!" (Sharp glance at Jennifer...I know she's been playing with a long stick lately and has been just as nasty to Charlie as he has been to her.) "My back and head hurts!" "What were you doing to fall off the tree house?" (My tone of voice at this point indicates that my desire to kill them both is rapidly rising.) "I went to sit down in the chair and just sort of fell back." "You had the chair right up to the edge...after your father just told you both to be careful of that?" "The last time I looked, the chair was this far - makes hand gesture indicating about a foot and a half - from the edge." "Didn't you check before you sat down?" "No, but it wasn't close to the edge." "Then why did you fall off?" (Here it comes...) "I don't know." At this point, and knowing my daughter has no major injuries...yet, I am imagining my hands around their little necks, wondering when the supposed intelligence will start to show (this isn't the first time they have done EXACTLY what you just warned them not to do), and Thank God they haven't lost their cuteness as I really don't want to go to prison for killing my children (murder of my bosses wife is an entirely different story...I can claim extenuating circumstances and have witnesses - all the other employees -to back me up). Now if the price of beef gets any higher, their tender flesh will start to look really good, especially with some carrots and a nice baked potato. "Mmmm! Tastes like corn-fed veal!"

Thank you for sharing that:rofl:
Now, I am raising 3 boys who've grown out of the cuteness, so it must just be my investment in them so far and their carrying of half my genes that save them from throttling

Oh, I've thought of that very often too! And a week doesn't go buy when I try to pawn them off, especially when someone wants me to sign for something. I always tell them that they can take my children as payment or at least collateral. So far, no takers. I guess word has gotten out that in about a week, they would be paying ME to take them back. I'm not exactly sure just how many places/cultures/countries/whatever would be in the market for 1.1 American children, but I think the United States currently has enough problems with other countries that I don't want to either add fuel to the fire or get another country declaring war.

I've got 7 offspring and although I love them, they drive me nuts most days. Did I mention I homeschool and they are with me 24/7? Yep. Then when the 'baby' was 2 1/2 and I was almost home free, hubby decides he would like
one more boy. So, at 40 years old I had another one. He is now just over 1 and I can't leave the room without him crying. I know he'll outgrow it, but oh, there are days......

Yes, little ones were made cute so parents wouldn't kill them. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I love them and my 'job' very much. I was on the fence about another one, he just pushed me over. I wasn't complaining. :)

I'd love to say something witty or cute but I'm over 40 so cute really doesn't apply anymore (did it ever?). I'm with you on my kids drive me crazy and they never use their brains....just expect them to continue to fight, not use their brains and do the opposite of what they should do. :shrugs:

See, at least you know yours well enough to see these behaviors. I'm still coaching at the ymca, and I have a ton of kids who are little brats. When I try to get our director to talk to the parents, the parents insist their child is a little angel and would never do anything wrong.

If Bobby's a little angel, then I'm a turkey.

EDIT: Maybe that was a bad expression to use on Thanksgiving. Don't eat me!:sidestep:

Don't eat me!:sidestep:

*Starts up the oven, eyeing Jrgh eagerly* :eats02:

I'm going to share the sentiments of most here in stating that children do, indeed, seem to enjoy skirting the issue of brain usage. Kids just aren't developmentally 'with it' enough to be logical on most things. Hell, by psychological standards we aren't fully developed mentally until our mid-twenties. Which puts me in the precarious position of...IMMATURE! *hides*

I just want to know when they reach the level of dogs. Even puppies learn after being disciplined several times not to do certain behaviors, and to do those behaviors for which they get rewarded. You would think that at 7 and 10 years old, and after multiple daily reminders, punishments and rewards that my children would have at least learned to do, on their own, some the more simple and basic tasks, like brushing their teeth, going to the bathroom and washing their hands. :shrugs:

I just want to know when they reach the level of dogs. Even puppies learn after being disciplined several times not to do certain behaviors, and to do those behaviors for which they get rewarded. You would think that at 7 and 10 years old, and after multiple daily reminders, punishments and rewards that my children would have at least learned to do, on their own, some the more simple and basic tasks, like brushing their teeth, going to the bathroom and washing their hands. :shrugs:

Let me know when they reach that stage - I'm still waiting. Here is something to let you know you are not alone!

youtube.com/watch?v=W95Y8hNQiH8

after multiple daily reminders, punishments and rewards that my children would have at least learned to do, on their own, some the more simple and basic tasks, like brushing their teeth, going to the bathroom and washing their hands. :shrugs:

Have you tried clicker training?

It works on cats!

See, at least you know yours well enough to see these behaviors. I'm still coaching at the ymca, and I have a ton of kids who are little brats. When I try to get our director to talk to the parents, the parents insist their child is a little angel and would never do anything wrong.

EDIT: Maybe that was a bad expression to use on Thanksgiving. Don't eat me!:sidestep:

Video tape the class.

Back