• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

King Rat help

Carinata

Ever Evolving Exotics
Cs.com I need your help. I have a King Rat Snake (Elaphe Carinata) Named Jasmine. She is a Late ’08 and 42 Grams. She is 21 inches long. She stopped eating a almost 3 weeks ago. We took her to the vet where the prescribed Fortaz (Mild RI) and Panacur (To make sure there were no parasites) They complemented me on husbandry and said it was excellent. They said I could add a UVA light to help her. So now she is in a 20 gallon long, with sani chips, a UVA light, UTH, 2 hides, Large Water, humid hide. She sits all day and basks under the lamp then when the lamp goes off she goes into the hot hide. I soak her daily to keep her hydrated. She refuses Live, pre killed, Frozen thawed Lizards and mice. Live snakes, mouse scented and brained pinkies.

Nanci Thanks for responding so fast. She was not eating before the treatment but it could be that. I am not quite sure.

When she stopped eating, it could have been the early onset of the RI. Sometimes with RI's, there's mucous that will block their glottis. Because the glottis is how they get air into their trachea while they're eating, if it's blocked, they know they'll suffocate while they're trying to eat. Could you imagine trying to swallow something that proportionally large to yourself while you had plaster in your only airway? My guess is that once she's finished with the RI treatment, she'll start eating again.

I agree with Robbie. She just doesn't feel well. How much longer does she need to be treated?

Personally, I would stop soaking her. If she has an RI, you want her humidity and moisture levels to drop, in order to "dry out" the RI. As long as she has access to water, I would stop the soaking. I would also stop handling her, and I would get her on papertowel substrate until the RIO clears up.

Otherwise...I agree with Robbie. She's most likely feeling ill, and simply doesn't want to eat, or CAN'T eat because of the mucous.

Give her some time and finish the treatments...3 weeks is NOT a long time to go without food...

I agree, just give her time to get better. Don't handle her too much until she is better and has eaten as well.. Plus, I am sure meds can cause mood changes in animals as it does in people..

I agree with stop the soaking and let the humidity drop in the tank..you want her to be warm and dry..just keep her on the treatments and don't try to feed her for at least 7 days..see what happens after a week...Also don't try and handle her...let her rest as much as possible..

Umm..since she is still probably in the recovering phase of getting over the RI...I would wait on the pics..maybe wait another week or 2 before starting with handling again...

Hey, make sure you give her at least 4 days in between feedings to digest her food.. Feeding her too often could cause her to regurge and add onto her problems..

Glad she ate for you though :)

I'm glad your seeking advice but...I'm kind of shocked!!

You were so..BOLD and knew it all, when you first started here!!

Sort of like a 360 going on here now.

Good luck with your snake.

yea it kinda is like that although I will say that the vet said if mucus was blocking the glotis the snake would die because it could not breath

Back