• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Upsetting Snake Video

windowswisher

expert noisemaker
Maybe I'm disillusioned, but the humanitarian in me experienced a stomach-flop watching this video. I can't wrap my mind around why it's necessary to feed the python a live chick, it seems quite cruel to cause the baby so much fear, discomfort, and panic when it could just as easily be humanely pre-killed.

But I guess that wouldn't make for good Youtube fodder, eh?

Just fueling the fire. :bomb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRnmVPVFkHU

Frozen/thawed is always the way I've done it. It's more humane, and it weeds out the hunting instinct, leaving snakes friendlier.

I used to live on a poultry farm, my job was to care for the hatchling birds. Meat kings, turkeys, gosling, and ducks. Part of it is to cull the young that for whatever reason need to be culled. I was fine with my job, when I lived there it was just a way of life...but I still did not watch this video. Culling when done properly is humane, FAST, and painless...at least as far as I'm aware.
I don't want to watch a chick suffer. There are some twisted folks out there.

i wouldnt have minded seeing a snake constrict a live animal, then eat it. but swallowing a live chick is just bad husbandry. at first i just thought you were upset someone was feeding live. but its up to the keeper how they feed. but now i see why you were upset. i also do not like this. but im not gonna say f/t only. even though thats all i feed, but its my decision. i dont make up others minds.

I just don't understand how some people find things like this entertaining enough to videotape, and upload to YouTube for the public to watch. :(

Feeding live is dangerous, pwargcm, and I am upset that they feed live. It's not just a "Oh, let them do their thing." sort of situation, because if they continue to "do their thing" they may kill their snake.

I kind of agree with Patrick. I mean...its not a choice I would make, and I dont enjoy watching it.
That being said, I'm the biggest supporter to our basic freedoms. Theres alot of things in the world people do that I dont agree with. In some cases I speak up loudly, other times I try not to worry. There are times that getting worked up does nothing but get you worked up. I dont think the person who made that video thinks their doing anything wrong...furthermore I bet they know all the risks, and STILL think they're doing the right thing. This person is going to do what they want, and we cannot change that. I wouldnt want someone who thinks that feeding live is better to have any say over how I care for my snakes. That means I HAVE to extend the same respect to thoes who think differently.

I don't really have a problem with feeding live, I had to for a while before I found that my bp loves f/t rat pups and will accept them. However, this is more cruel than is needed. If it were in the wild it would be different, but in someone's house there is a difference. Of course I don't know the back story of this snake, maybe he won't accept f/t and then if the snake won't constrict, what do you do? However posting the video makes me think that this keeper likes this....which disturbs me.

Maybe I'm disillusioned, but the humanitarian in me experienced a stomach-flop watching this video. I can't wrap my mind around why it's necessary to feed the python a live chick, it seems quite cruel to cause the baby so much fear, discomfort, and panic when it could just as easily be humanely pre-killed.

But I guess that wouldn't make for good Youtube fodder, eh?

Just fueling the fire. :bomb:

You have every right by stopping this Video and not watching it. Seriously, I see this stuff and I just pass on it. You started to watch this and realized where it was going so why Finish it?

Seriously, If I gave you a glass of milk that was spoiled, would you finish drinking it and then complain about it on the Net?

I did not watch the video to the end, just skipped it in 3 parts, but I can assure you that the chick is still crying at the end of the video somewhere inside of the python. This is very gruesome, and upsetting, but it SHOULD be upsetting. People DO this. This is just one of HUNDREDS of videos like this on Youtube.

I have encountered so, so, so many reckless snake owners in my lifetime, yet feel helpless in so far as what to do on a broad scale.

You have every right by stopping this Video and not watching it. Seriously, I see this stuff and I just pass on it. You started to watch this and realized where it was going so why Finish it?

Seriously, If I gave you a glass of milk that was spoiled, would you finish drinking it and then complain about it on the Net?
Good analogy.
Note, and the people who make these sorts of films (I didn't even click the link) rely on a variety of people to circulate their...stuff...

you dont have to tell me feeding live is dangerous. i know this and i also dont do it. but do i tell smokers that its dangerous and that they need to stop. nope. but do they tell me that smoking pot is just as dangerous and i need to stop, hopefully they dont because i dont like laughing at people in front of them.

we all make our own choices and you cant tell people what to do. many people "safely" feed live. and intervene when they have to. this person is just an attention seeker with with a juvinile boid that they wanna prove off as a monster online. noone with a half decent knowledge on reptile keeping would find this amusing, and most would probably frown upon it as bad husbandry. but we do have our rights, for now, so watch or dont watch.

Pardon my french but thats f****d up!

Here, now wash that down with a glass of spoiled milk.
glass-of-milk.jpg

This is SO true! Bad press.... is still press.

At the same time, I feel like touchy issues need to be discussed, and hopefully the press it receives will spur action. It's circular reasoning to say that publicizing an unsavory issue will popularize it, so we shouldn't try to change that unsavory issue at all. All action begins with discussion (hopefully).

This is a herp forum, and the issue was herp-related, and deeply disturbed me. I'm sorry if this has upset anyone; I meditated on posting it here for quite a while until I finally did. I should have attached a disclaimer, and I'm so sorry I didn't.

At the same time, I feel like touchy issues need to be discussed, and hopefully the press it receives will spur action. It's circular reasoning to say that publicizing an unsavory issue will popularize it, so we shouldn't try to change that unsavory issue at all. All action begins with discussion (hopefully).

This is a herp forum, and the issue was herp-related, and deeply disturbed me. I'm sorry if this has upset anyone; I meditated on posting it here for quite a while until I finally did. I should have attached a disclaimer, and I'm so sorry I didn't.
Oh darlin', don't be too serious. I'm not shocked or appalled. I was just thinking, Becca, back to a YouTube post of a turtle. I will leave it at that.
And I understand outing the makers/posters of such videos.

An interesting discussion might be the pro's and con's of outing such people, versus the behaviour mod. approach of non-reinforcement of negative behaviours.

Back