PDA

View Full Version : Domed head...

Domed head...

Silvergrin
07-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of photos on this; I'll try to provide some soon.

It's pip time and in my cream het stripe x cream het stripe, the second stripe of the clutch so far came out today. While putting it away, I noticed that it's head seems a bit misshapen; instead of the normal flattop corns sport there's a definite bump there. It's subtle enough that I'd hesitate to call it "deformed"; I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't a stripe, and thus subject to extra oggling. But I certainly wouldn't call it normal either. I did take a closer look at some of the other clutchmates and didn't see anything (nor did I see/hear of any problems from babies from the same parents last year)

Little guy seems healthy enough and I don't notice anything else strange about it. Wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of thing, and know what to expect, and what causes is (Genetics vs congenital?). Also, if it eats and is healthy, I'd like to know what people do regarding selling such babies. The only deformed hatchlings I've gotten were pretty badly off and died before feeding. I figure if I had a healthy one I'd just clearly label it and maybe give a discount, but I don't know how much. Thoughts?

Thanks! I'll try to get photos soon!

Silvergrin
07-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Erk. Thought about it a bit more and I suspect mild hydrocephalus. Which is kind of problematic because, as I understand it, it's not merely a cosmetic problem, or one that stays the same/improves with time... it's a problem that gets worse as fluid builds up and results in seizures and stuff D:

jaxom1957
07-12-2007, 12:45 AM
It's pip time and in my cream het stripe x cream het stripe, the second stripe of the clutch so far came out today. While putting it away, I noticed that it's head seems a bit misshapen; instead of the normal flattop corns sport there's a definite bump there. It's subtle enough that I'd hesitate to call it "deformed"; I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't a stripe, and thus subject to extra oggling.

Little guy seems healthy enough and I don't notice anything else strange about it. Wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of thing, and know what to expect, and what causes is (Genetics vs congenital?). Also, if it eats and is healthy, I'd like to know what people do regarding selling such babies.Read this thread:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52648

This was a recent hatchling of Dean's that started out a "domey" but now appears normal. Give it a few days to see if it changes. It may surprise you and be just fine. His is giving every indication that the condition was transient and indicative of nothing more than premature hatching.

Still, you might not want to risk it contaminating your other snakes, so I'd advise putting it a box and shipping it to:

J. Lee Eaton-Maxwell
1740 Clayton Ave. Apt. 7
Modesto, CA 95350-4771

Sincerely,
J. Lee Eaton-Maxwell :laugh:

Silvergrin
07-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Wow, you'll take it off my hands? What a swell guy! ^-^

Thanks so much for the link; forgot my subscription just ran out ;) I was searching for hydrocephalus anyway, though, so I probably wouldn't have found it. But Roy's snake there looks almost exactly like mine! Except... y'know... an awesome pewter and all... ;D

Well, that's kinda a relief, maybe!

Silvergrin
07-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Here's some photos. Unfortunately, my camera isn't the greatest at taking closeup detail shots :/

http://www.spiffyspace.com/photos/snakes/creams/dome1.jpg http://www.spiffyspace.com/photos/snakes/creams/dome2.jpg http://www.spiffyspace.com/photos/snakes/creams/dome3.jpg http://www.spiffyspace.com/photos/snakes/creams/dome4.jpg

jaxom1957
07-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Here's some photos. Unfortunately, my camera isn't the greatest at taking closeup detail shots His isn't nearly as pronounced as the pewter was. In a couple of days, I bet he'll look like nothing was ever amiss. He also looks alert and inquisitive, good signs both.

Almost forgot to mention: because of that HORRIBLE disfigurement, you should sell him half-price....to me, who else? :laugh:

Silvergrin
07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Heh, let me get the guy started for you; it's the least I can do for such a generous offer! ;D

Seriously, guess I'll update in a week or so, see if it eats and if the bump gets bigger/smaller/doesn't change. I gotta say, there seems to be some more subtle weird things about it; like Roy's pic, the back jaws seem to stick out a little more than normal. Also, when it's resting, it looks kinda weird; twerks up a bit more, and I keep thinking maybe it died. :P Or maybe I'm just bothering it too much and it's tense!

jaxom1957
07-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Seriously, guess I'll update in a week or so, see if it eats and if the bump gets bigger/smaller/doesn't change. I gotta say, there seems to be some more subtle weird things about it; like Roy's pic, the back jaws seem to stick out a little more than normal. Also, when it's resting, it looks kinda weird; twerks up a bit more, and I keep thinking maybe it died.I'll check back for an update in a few days, see how he's doing. Dean's (Roy Munson is his handle, Dean is his name) not only looks normal now, it shed and has eaten and is doing great. Hopefully your domey will do the same.

jaxom1957
08-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Seriously, guess I'll update in a week or so, see if it eats and if the bump gets bigger/smaller/doesn't change. I gotta say, there seems to be some more subtle weird things about it; like Roy's pic, the back jaws seem to stick out a little more than normal. Also, when it's resting, it looks kinda weird; twerks up a bit more, and I keep thinking maybe it died. :P Or maybe I'm just bothering it too much and it's tense!How is your little domey progressing? Any new pics?